8 Potential Winners Of The World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
Whilst it is the goal scorers that grab most of the glory in the World Cup, the goalkeepers play a huge part in the tournament as well. The best stopper of the event walks away with the Golden Glove Award and here are nine men in contention for winning it in Russia this year.
- Fernando Muslera – 33/1 with Unibet
The Galatasaray stopper will play at his third World Cup when the 2018 tournament comes around and should pick up his 100th cap during the tournament. He is as experienced as anyone in the competition and will be out to win the thing with Uruguay as he comes into his peak at 31-years-old.
The Uruguayans are 35/1 to win the World Cup with 188Bet so they will need some major performances to do so. Most will expect them to come from the likes of Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani, but Muslera could be the one to be his country’s hero.
Uruguay came fourth in 2010 and a similar performance will put Muslera in with a great chance.
- Jordan Pickford – 20/1 with Black Type
Yes, this doesn’t seem especially likely, but England’s inexperienced goalkeeper has a shot at walking away from the World Cup with the Golden Glove Award.
Pickford looks the most likely to get the nod as Gareth Southgate’s number one, and if the Three Lions can make an unlikely run to the quarter-finals and beyond then their keeper will have had a lot to do with it.
The 24-year-old has the potential to really catch the eye with his excellent distribution, which could just give him the edge over his contenders. Although he will have to be on top form, possibly more so than he has shown so far in his Everton career.
- Thibault Courtois – 10/1 with bet365 (Ts & Cs Appply)
Belgium are one of the favourites to win the World Cup at 12/1 and much of that is down to their excellent backline, anchored by Thibault Courtois in goal.
The Chelsea stopper is a dominant force at the back and Belgium have got a draw which should see them ease into the quarter-finals, from where they will be very difficult to stop. If Belgium reach their first ever World Cup final then Courtois will be a shoe-in for the Golden Glove.
- Hugo Lloris – 7/1 with bet365 (Ts & Cs Appply)
France are a difficult team to read at the moment – full of quality but unpredictable and famously capable of complete meltdown at big tournaments. The bookies see them as a serious threat at 7/1 with Unibet to win the competition.
Hugo Lloris has not had his best season in goal for Tottenham, but he is extremely experienced on the international stage and will be a solid presence for the French between the sticks – probably winning his 100th cap during the tournament.
As the captain of the side, if they perform well he will be an obvious choice for the award.
- David De Gea – 4/1 with Unibet
Spain are not the force they once were in major tournaments, but that could just allow David de Gea to shine as the sensational goalkeeper he is. The faults in the Manchester United side for which he plays has done something similar – the Spaniard has been handed the chance to show off his shot-stopping skills and he has taken that chance with both hands.
Spain are still more than good enough to reach the latter stages, but if they are to win it will take some huge performances from De Gea. Such are the highlight reel nature of his saves, it could well be enough for him to take home the Golden Glove.
- Marc-Andre Ter Stegen - 25/1 with bet365 (Ts & Cs Appply)
This is an interesting one, because there is every chance Ter Stegen might not play a single minute of football at the World Cup, however, he still deserves his spot as third most likely to win the Golden Glove.
Germany’s first choice goalkeeper, Manuel Neuer, has been out injured since September and is still not ready to play. He is in the preliminary squad and is expected to recover in time for the trip to Russia, but that is no guarantee at this stage. If Neuer doesn’t make it, or relapses, then Ter Stegen will come in and have every chance of lifting the World Cup and the Golden Glove Award.
- Manuel Neuer – 4/1 with Unibet
If Neuer makes it back from his injury then he will play, and then he has a very good chance of winning the Golden Glove, just as he did four years ago in Brazil.
No stopper has ever won the award back-to-back or even won it twice at all. However, Germany have a very good chance of retaining the World Cup and Neuer does such a good job as the sweeper-keeper that he could make history this summer.
The only thing keeping him off top spot here is the question marks over his fitness after missing so much football due to his fractured foot.
- Alisson Becker – 9/2 with Boyle Sports
Brazil are the favourites to win the World Cup with most bookies on them lifting the trophy for the first time since 2002.
Alisson has been receiving rave reviews for his performances for Roma this season, with Liverpool reportedly very interested in his services this summer. He has only been their first choice keeper for one season but is already his national team’s number one ahead of his first World Cup.
It would be a piece of history if Alisson wins the Golden Glove as no Brazilian has done so before, but as he is keeping Manchester City stopper Edison out of the side, he clearly has every chance of doing so. Looking to shine in front of the world for the first time, Alisson looks a good bet to take home some individual glory from Russia.
18+. Acca Insurance: Min selection odds 1/10. Acca odds 3/1. Pre-match straight line accas only. 1 free bet up to £/€10 per customer/day, credited within 24 hrs, valid for 7 days, Min 1 boost per day. Full T&Cs apply
New customers only (+18) • £10 dep using promo code "PL35" • Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Withdrawal restrictions and full Ts & Cs apply.
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Once your £10 qual bet is settled £40 Racing bonus will be triggered. Wagering reqs: Racing 1x, odds of 2.00 min (1/1) for each bet placed. £10 Casino Bonus, 35x. T&Cs apply.
New Customers only - £10 min dep using promo code "RACING" - First bet must be placed on any market - Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement Full T&Cs apply.
Sign up to Paddy Power & the first time you play Beat the Drop, you will automatically receive 30 days of free play. Unlimited play of a ‘10 Q - €1,000 Pot’ game. You can only enter one game at a time. T&Cs apply.
Place a single £10 sportsbook bet and Get £20 Free Sports Acca Bet. There are x4 £5 sports acca bet.Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply.Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. T&Cs apply.
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
- Rugby World Cup 2019 Betting Preview
- Premier League Game Week 6 Betting Preview
- Europa League 2019-20 Betting Preview
- Champions League 2019-20 Betting Preview
- Tyson Fury vs Otto Wallin Betting Preview
- St Leger Preview 2019 - A Possible Yorkshire Winner
- Premier League Game Week 5 Betting Preview
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »