Aston Villa v Chelsea Preview : Villa Need Three Points
- Villa Park
- Sunday 21 June 4.15pm
- Live on Sky Sports
Aston Villa used up their game in hand on Wednesday but couldn't beat Sheffield United. That left them in the bottom three of the Premier League and now they take on fourth-placed Chelsea. Our preview looks ahead to Sunday's game with both sides needing points but for different reasons.
Villa Need a Home Win
Aston Villa are still in deep relegation trouble after their goalless draw with Sheffield United on Wednesday. That was their game in hand and boy could they have done with three points from that match. They remain in the bottom three but still only a point from ensuring that they can avoid relegation and have another season in the Premier League.
Villa will have to do it the hard way though if they do want to survive. After this game, they still have a home local derby against Wolves plus the visits of Manchester United, Crystal Palace and Arsenal. with trips to both Liverpool clubs and a possible last-day showdown at West Ham, Villa need to up their game in the coming weeks. Their home form has seen them win two of their last five league games, looking at that fixture list though, they will do well to win another one.
Chelsea On their Way to the Champions League Again
When Chelsea made an uncertain start under new manager Frank Lampard, fans weren't at all confident of a top four finish. Some were even going on phone-ins calling for Lampard to be sacked. True, Chelsea have been a bit inconsistent at times and concede more goals than their manager would like them to. Even so, they are fourth in the Premier League at the time of writing this preview and in the last eight of the FA Cup.
By the time this game begins on Sunday, Chelsea might be playing catch-up. A win for Manchester United at Tottenham on Friday evening will take them above the Blues on goal difference. Anything but a win for United will see Chelsea with a good chance of strengthening their chances of clinching that Champions League place.
Only Manchester City have scored more away goals than Chelsea in the Premier League. 29 have been scored with only two of their 14 games not seeing them score. However, 24 have been conceded, though only four games have been lost. Aston Villa have scored in 10 of their last 11 league matches at Villa Park A bet is recommended on both sides getting on the scoresheet.
- Aston Villa have no wins in their last five league games.
- Villa have won two of their last five home Premier League fixtures.
- Both teams have scored in eight of the last 11 Aston Villa home league matches.
- The last 11 home Villa league games have seen over 2.5 goals scored in eight of them.
- Aston Villa had scored in each of their last ten home league games before the goalless draw with Sheffield United.
- The reverse fixture saw Chelsea win 2-1 at Stamford Bridge.
- Chelsea have won two of their last three games in the Premier League.
- Only Manchester City have scored more away Premier League goals than Chelsea.
- Seven of the last nine Chelsea games in all competitions have had over 2.5 goals scored in them.
- Both teams have scored in 11 of the last 13 Chelsea away league fixtures.
- Only twice have Chelsea failed to score in an away league game this season.