9 Best January Transfer Window Signings In Premier League History
The January transfer market is a very difficult one to navigate for Premier League managers and there have been an awful lot of poor moves made by bosses and chairman over the years.
However, every so often a smart gaffer makes a very shrewd move and brings in a player that will either boost his side's short-term, or preferably long-term performances. Here are the nine best signings ever made in the Premier League's January transfer window.
9. David Luiz – Benfica to Chelsea – 2011 - £21.5m
The enigmatic Brazilian did not win everyone over in his first spell at Chelsea, but he did win plenty of silverware and produced some memorable moments.
The centre-back claimed a Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup winner’s medal in his first stint at Stamford Bridge and whilst many pundits were never convinced by his defensive abilities, you could not argue with that haul of prizes.
Luiz was flogged to Paris Saint-Germain in 2014 but has since returned to the Bridge and has added the Premier League to his list of achievements.
8. Christophe Dugarry – Bordeaux to Birmingham – 2003 – Loan & Free
Birmingham were really struggling in 2003 and brought in a big name to fire them out of their relegation battle. Christophe Dugarry was a World Cup and European Championship winner with France and played for giants like AC Milan and Barcelona.
It was a short-term fix, but his five goals in four games kept the Blues in the Premier League that season and is forever remembered as a fantastic move in the January window.
7. Daniel Sturridge – Chelsea to Liverpool – 2013 - £12m
The unpredictable striker has had an up-and-down career from the start, including his time at Liverpool, but for just £12m he has certainly proved to be an excellent signing for the Reds.
It was a very encouraging start for Sturridge as he scored 11 times in 16 games in the second half of 2012-13 and he continued this fine form the following campaign.
The Reds came within a whisker of winning the Premier League title and that was in no small part down to the 24 goals Sturridge managed that campaign. It has not gone so swimmingly for him since then, but he was undoubtedly an excellent piece of business in that January window of 2013.
6. Nemanja Matic – Benfica to Chelsea – 2014 - £21m
Chelsea will have been frustrated that they let Matic go in 2012, but they were very pleased to see him back in January 2014, even if it did cost them £21m.
The rock solid central midfielder was at Stamford Bridge for three-and-a-half seasons and won two Premier League titles, being an integral part to the success from the middle of the park throughout that time.
151 appearances in that relatively short space of time shows how important was to the Blues and many think the club were mad to let him go to Manchester United in 2017.
5. Mikel Arteta – Real Sociedad to Everton – 2005 - £2m
This was a cracking piece of business from David Moyes as he brought in ever-reliable midfielder Mikel Arteta for a snip at £2m.
Twice voted Everton’s Player of the Season, he made 209 appearances for the Toffees in nearly seven years at the club, notching 34 goals from midfield in the process.
The Spaniard was eventually tempted away to Arsenal in 2011, but he is fondly remembered by the fans on the blue half of Merseyside.
4. Clint Dempsey – New England Revolution to Fulham – 2007 - £2m
Signing a player directly from America’s MLS is always going to be a risk for Premier League clubs, but Fulham’s gamble on Clint Dempsey came off in serious style.
The Texan got progressively better and more influential for the Cottagers, scoring more goals in each of the five full seasons he was at the club. This peaked with an incredible 2011-12 campaign when he netted 23 times. This attracted the attention of Spurs and Dempsey was sold, but what a time he had at Fulham.
3. Nemanja Vidic – Spartak Moscow to Man Utd – 2006 - £7m
There wasn’t a great deal of fanfare when Vidic arrived in January 2006 and few could have predicted the wild success the no nonsense centre-back would go on to have at Manchester United.
The Serbian spent over eight years at Old Trafford, winning five Premier League titles and the Champions League, among other tournaments. He captained the club and was a fan favourite from start to finish – a wonderful bit of business from Sir Alex Ferguson.
2. Patrice Evra – Monaco to Man Utd – 2006 - £5m
Joining and leaving Manchester United at the same time as Vidic was Patrice Evra, who turned out to be an equally superb move from Fergie, and for £2m less.
Vidic is arguably the more iconic figure at Old Trafford, but Evra actually racked up 79 more appearances for the club and was an entirely reliable figure at left-back for the majority of a decade.
A fee of just £5m was an absolute bargain for such a consistently excellent performer at the highest level.
1. Luis Suarez – Ajax to Liverpool – 2011 - £22.5m
Suarez may not have won much at Liverpool (one League Cup) but he had an incredible time at Anfield, scoring an outrageous amount of goals and very nearly taking them to their first Premier League title.
The Uruguayan only scored four times in the second half of the 2011-12 season when he arrived, but went on to score 78 more goals in just 120 games and became the most feared striker in the division.
31 goals in the 2013-14 Premier League season was enough to see Barcelona swoop for his services, but it was an incredible three-and-a-half years the controversial forward had on Merseyside.
Up to £100 in Bet Credits for New Customers at bet365 Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. 18+, Time limits and T&Cs apply.
New Customers only - deposit £10 using '10FREE' promo code. First bet must be £10 min stake at odds of 1/2 (1.5). £30 Free bets and £10 bet on any Premier League game received on settlement, valid seven days
New Customers only - £10 minimum deposit using promo code "KO10" - qualifying bet has to be min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5), free bets received on settlement and valid for 7 days plus a £10 free bet to use on Fury v Pianeta
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »