Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
A loss can be critical to a boxer’s career these days but there is plenty of form which suggests fighters can avenge defeats and go on to great success as a result. George Groves is desperate for a rematch after his controversial loss to Carl Froch and he will take inspiration from the following men, including the man who defeated him in Manchester.
10. Carl Froch v Mikkel Kessler (2013)
Carl Froch had a perfect record from 26 fights and the WBC super-middleweight title around his waist when he travelled to Denmark to meet Mikkel Kessler in 2010. He lost a controversial points decision and had to wait three years for the rematch most thought he deserved. In front of a packed O2 Arena in London the Cobra barely lost a round and scored a one-sided unanimous decision.
9. Bernard Hopkins v Roy Jones Jr (2010)
Rarely has a rematch taken so long to be made as the 17 years it took for Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr to get back in the ring together. They first met way back in1993 for the IBF middleweight title, a bout which Jones Jr won comfortably on points. They returned for the second contest in 2010 somewhat heavier at light-heavyweight and Hopkins got his revenge with a clear points win although the fight was a bizarre one with both men throwing illegal punches and even a brawl at the end of the sixth involving entourages and security.
8. Miguel Cotto v Antonio Margarito (2011)
Two brilliantly brutal contests were shared between these two great warriors with the Mexican coming out on top in the first and the Puerto Rican emerging victorious from the second. Margarito scored a late stoppage in 2008 to hand Cotto his first loss in 33 fights but Junito returned the favour in 2011 by ending the bout in round 10 with Margarito’s eye swollen shut.
7. Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales (2006)
Pac Man’s move up to super featherweight didn’t do to plan when he lost a unanimous decision to Mexican Erik Morales in March 2005. It did not take him long to gain his revenge though as he fought him again not once but twice during 2006 winning each with brutal knockout, the latter coming just three rounds in which effectively put an end to Morales as a really top level fighter.
6. Sergio Martinez v Paul Williams (2010)
The first clash between the two was one of the greatest wars of recent times and one that Williams narrowly won by majority decision handing the Argentinian legend only his second ever defeat. Martinez was to get his revenge though with a savage second round knockout less than a year later.
5. Evander Holyfield v Riddick Bowe (1993)
These two brutes first met in November 1992 as two unbeaten fighters to decide who was the greatest heavyweight on the planet and it was Bowe who come away with the win after a classic contest in Las Vegas. The fans clamoured for a rematch and that is what they got the next year with Holyfield gaining retribution with a majority decision win to reclaim his belts.
4. Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Carmen Basilio (1958)
Sometimes two great fighters’ styles just click and that was certainly the case between these two American greats. For two successive years their bouts won the Ring Magazine Fight of the Year title, each ending in split decisions. Basilio won the first in 1957 and Robinson returned the favour in ’58 as they battled for what was then the only world middleweight title available.
3. Lennox Lewis v Evander Holyfield (1997)
The Brit did not lose his first bout with Holyfield but he may have felt like he did after clearly beating the American and having to settle for a draw after some outrageous judging. The pair returned to the ring less than a year later and Lewis got his revenge by gaining the unanimous points decision that he should have had eight months prior.
2. Joe Louis v Max Schmelling (1938)
Schmelling pulled off a huge upset when he handed the Brown Bomber his first ever defeat via 10th round knockout in New York in 1936. Neither were world champion then but Louis went on to win the title the following year. Unsurprisingly Schmelling felt he was entitled a shot at the champion that he had beaten, he got that chance but Louis avenged his defeat in style with a first round knockout in the Bronx.
1. Joe Frazier v Muhammad Ali (1974 & 1975)
The world was shocked when Smokin Joe Frazier handed Muhammad Ali his first defeat by unanimous decision over 15 brutal rounds in 1971. The Greatest had to wait three years for the return match which he won by the same route but over the more humane 12 round distance. He had avenged his loss but the rubber match was to come which Ali again won as the famous Thrilla in Manilla ended with a Frazier’s retirement in the 14th round.
Today's Main Tip
Manchester United to win the Champions League at 16/1 with William Hill.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the FA Cup match between Wigan and Man City.
Ladbrokes have a price offer related to the Cheltenham Festival.
Coral have an offer related to the Cheltenham Festival.
Winner have offers related to golf tournaments.
Coral have an offer related to the Cheltenham Festival.
William Hill have a promotion for new customers.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
More videos »
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »