Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
Australians are known for it and they have not disappointed ahead of this winter’s Ashes series with the usual barrage of blowing their own trumpet and disparaging the opposition. Fortunately for England all this ends on 21st November and they can get on with retaining the Ashes. Again. Here are the 10 best comments the Aussies have come up with of late.
10. Shane Watson has cracked the winning code ahead of the series; score lots of runs.
"That is the way we are going to win the Ashes.
"As a batting unit we are going to bat for a long period of time, especially in the first couple of Tests. We will see where they are at physically and mentally. That is one of our biggest goals.
"We have no doubt they will keep coming but at what level? We haven't been able to challenge that level. Keep them coming back, get them fatigued and try to keep them that way as well. Don't let them off by batting badly and getting a rest.''
9. Shane Warne makes his first appearance on this list with his most sensible point but still tries to upset the England bowling attack in the same breath.
“I think they’ve really missed a trick in not picking [Graham] Onions.”
8. Glenn McGrath hopes the weather will come to the Aussies’ aid after a rain affected second tour game for England, just before they romp to victory in their final warm-up match.
“They would be under-prepared if this weather carries on. They will want to play as many games as possible. Their match in Perth probably didn’t go as well as they would have liked. This one started well for them but they’ve only had two batsmen have a hit.”
7. Peter Siddle attempts to knock England’s all-conquering bowling attack and suggests Michael Clarke and Steve Smith give the Aussies the edge in that department.
"If you look at England's line-up over the past two, three, four years they've only used four bowlers. We've got the strength and the variety – with the two righties, lefty and a spinner – to cover all bases. You've got 'Pup' [Clarke] and 'Smithy' [Steve Smith] that can bowl a bit of part-time spin as well if 'Watto' doesn't bowl.”
6. Shane Warne is back putting some more pressure on the England camp.
“I think England have to play the best cricket they can possibly play to win. If they don’t play as well as they can, I think Australia will win the series.”
5. Mitchell Johnson comes out with some old-school bully boy tactics by threatening Jonathan Trott’s well-being.
"Trott has come out and said he is not worried about the short ball. If I can get a few of those rearing balls towards the ribs, or a throat ball, it is his fault if he gets in the way.”
4. Ricky Ponting gets in on the act suggesting England are past their best. The words pot, kettle and black come into mind.
“I think the England team might be slightly past their absolute peak, I just think they're getting to that stage where a lot of their guys have been around a long time and they've been at the top or near the top for a while. Some of their players would say the same, that they're probably just tapering off a fraction and our boys are on the way up.”
3. Warne returns with some more carefully worded “banter” as he has a go at uber-successful England skipper Alistair Cook.
“I think Alastair Cook needs to be more imaginative. If Australia play well and he continues to captain the way he does, I think they are going to lose the series.”
2. Darren Lehmann got into the spirit early on as he riled up his compatriots over the summer.
“I just hope the Australian public give it to him [Stuart Broad] right from the word go for the whole summer and I hope he cries and he goes home.”
1. Michael Clarke sinks to a new low by breaking all bonds of etiquette and reeling off the England team for the first test which apparently Cook let slip.
"I saw Alastair Cook yesterday at a Remembrance Day ceremony in Sydney and fortunately enough he gave me their team as well for the first Test match, I know he hasn't announced it yet but I thought this was a good opportunity for me."
Australia are a best price of 7/4 with Stan James to win the forthcoming Ashes series.
Today's Main Tip
Liverpool and Roma to draw in the Champions League at 13/4 with Ladbrokes.
Betfair have enhanced for the Champions League match between Liverpool and Roma.
William Hill have enhanced odds for the Champions League match between Liverpool and Roma.
888Sport have an offer related to the Champions League match between Liverpool and Roma.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the Champions League match between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.
888Sport are offering a free bet related to Premier League matches.
888Sport have an offer related to the Europa League match between Arsenal and Atletico Madrid.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »
More videos »