Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
As Mark Selby upset the odds to win his first World Snooker Championship at the weekend, FREEbets.org.uk got thinking about players that could be King of the Crucible in the future. The old guard of Ronnie O’Sullivan, John Higgins and the like are coming to the end of their careers at the top, here are 10 younger contenders with world title ambitions.
10. Liang Wenbo
When Liang got to the World Championship quarter-finals, on debut, at the age of 21, big things were expected of him. Six years on he has not lived up to expectations, but he still clearly has the talent to beat the best. He is only 27-years-old and if he can build up some momentum, he will be a threat at the Crucible.
9. Kyren Wilson
At just 22-years-old Wilson qualified for the final stages of six ranking events last season, reaching the last eight of the Shanghai Masters, and making his Crucible debut. The Warrior put up a good fight against Ricky Walden in Sheffield, and in a narrow defeat, showed he will be back.
8. Cao Yupeng
Another of the young batch of Chinese players who has joined the tour, but not quite hit the big time yet. Cao beat Mark Allen on his Crucible debut in 2012, and made the last eight of the Wuxi Classic last year. At just 23, he has plenty of time to kick on.
7. Mark Allen
The world number nine is still only 28-years-old, so whilst he has not cracked the Crucible yet, time is on his side to do it in the coming years. The Pistol has the talent to win the world title, as his double World Open win showed, he just needs to apply himself more effectively.
6. Luca Brecel
The Belgian lacks consistency, but seen as he is only 19-years-old, he can be forgiven for this. He has already reached the quarter-finals of the UK Championship in 2012, and was within a whisker of the last four that year. He has performed at the Crucible and he could well have conquered it within the next 10 years.
5. Xiao Guodong
The Chinese number two is undoubtedly the best talent to come out of the country since Ding Junhui. The 25-year-old reached his first ranking final last season at the Shanghai Masters, there are plenty more to come from a man who is upwardly mobile in the world rankings.
4. Stephen Maguire
Not a young talent anymore, but the Scot could still be world champion if he can find some consistency in his game. Maguire has five ranking titles to his name and has twice been to the semi-finals at the Crucible. At 33-years-old, he has less time to play with than his rivals on this list, but he cannot be written off in the next five years.
3. Michael White
The Welshman made his Crucible debut in 2013 and stormed through to the quarter-final. He was also impressive on his return this year, losing out in a deciding frame to eventual winner Selby in the first round. At just 22 he is up into the world’s top 32 and this could be the season that he starts to challenge for ranking tournaments. In the coming years he is bound to be involved at the business end of the World Championship.
2. Judd Trump
The 2011 finalist is still just 24-years-old but has three ranking titles to his name and has already been to the world number on spot. He looks at home at the Crucible and also has a quarter and semi-final appearance to his name. It would be a major surprise if the Ace in the Pack does not win the big one during his career.
1. Ding Junhui
The world number two’s consistent failure at the World Championships is one of the strangest phenomena in the sport. The 27-year-old has won an outrageous 11 rankings titles but has just one semi-final appearance at the Crucible to his name. On six of his appearances in Sheffield he has failed to get past the second round, which is very poor for a man of his talent. However, it seems unbelievable that he will not win the world title at some stage. Ding has only just turned 27, so he has years to come at the top of the sport, and he will triumph at the Crucible in one of those years.
Today's Main Tip
Bayern Munich to beat real Madrid in the Champions League at 19/20 with Ladbrokes.
William Hill have enhanced odds for the Europa League match between Arsenal and Atletico Madrid.
888Sport are offering a free bet related to Premier League matches.
888Sport have an offer related to the Europa League match between Arsenal and Atletico Madrid.
BetVictor have a welcome offer related to football.
BetVictor are offering a prize of fund £1,000,000 in their Golden Goal competition.
888Sport have a promotion related to all sports during the 2017/18 football season.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »
More videos »