With rumours still abounding as to the next and possibly final stop in David Beckham’s footballing career, we take a look at those still competing in the Premier League at his ripe old age of 37 to see what kind of company he’ll be keeping if he does come back to the division he left almost a decade ago.
8. Hilario – 37-years-old
The Portuguese ‘keeper has incredibly been in the Premier League for six years now after Jose Mourinho brought him to Chelsea all the way back in 2006. He has managed 42 appearances in the first team since his arrival but has managed just two in the last 18 months and is regularly lucky to even get on the bench in front of regular second choice shot-stopper Ross Turnbull.
His one cap for Portugal came during his spell at Stamford Bridge but whilst he managed to catch the national team manager’s eye, few others will have many memories of his spell in England and if Becks were to return to play on home soil, he would want to be on the field a bit more often than Hilario.
7. Brynjar Gunnarsson – 37-years-old
The first out-field player on the list will give Beckham some hope that there could be life in the old legs yet to trot out onto a Premier League field, but again, unfortunately, appearances appear impossible to come by for the Icelandic midfielder. The veteran Iceland international has made well over 150 appearances for Reading, but unfortunately none so far this season as he sits on the side-lines watching their battle against the drop. Again Beckham will not be looking at Brynjar as a role model in returning to the Premier League.
6. Steve Harper -37-years-old
The most dedicated second choice goalkeeper in history is still as committed as ever to the Newcastle cause at 37-years-old as he was when he joined the club as an 18 year old. In those 19 years Steve Harper has made just 197 appearances for the first team averaging out at just ten a year. He is still going strong though and has appeared in the Premier League this season as well as regularly in the Europa League. Perhaps his lack of wear and tear from matches has prolonged his career as he looks set to continue as understudy for Tim Krul for a while yet.
5. Mark Schwarzer – 40-years-old
This will start to cheers Becks up; a man still playing regularly in the Premier League in his forties! There is hope for us all yet! The Australian has been a model of consistency in the Premier League since first appearing regularly in the division for Middlesbrough back in the 1998-99 season and is still going strong. He only signed for current club Fulham at the age of 36 and has since made over 200 appearances for the Cottagers with his career league appearances now totalling 541.
He may be a goalkeeper but the Aussie’s longevity will be inspiration nonetheless to anyone at the age of 37 still considering a move to the Premier League.
4. Jussi Jaaskelainen – 37-years-old
There is not much between Schwarzer and his fellow member of the goalkeeping union Jussi Jaaskelainen, but due to the Finn having played more league games despite being three years the Aussie’s junior just edges him ahead on the list. Jaaskelainen joined Bolton for £100,000 in 1997 and went on to make 529 appearances for the club, most of which came in the Premier League.
It had looked like his career was coming to an end as Adam Bogdan usurped his number one spot at the Reebok Stadium, but his old manager Sam Allardyce showed faith in him, bringing him to West Ham and reinstalling him as a Premier League number one. Judging by Schwarzer’s efforts, the Hammers’ stopper could be going for some year yet and add considerably to his already huge total of 612 league appearances in his career.
3. Brad Friedel - 41-years-old
The undisputed Daddy of the Premier League goalkeeping elite is Brad Friedel, who at a mighty 41-years-old is still producing top drawer performances for a team competing at the top of the Premier League table.
The records the American has broken are absolutely astonishing and are ones that generally are not matched in the modern era of the game. He has become the oldest ever player for both Aston Villa and Tottenham, which at each club were records previously held pre-1950. He has also set the record for most consecutive Premier League appearances at 310 across spells with three different clubs.
Hugo Lloris may just be starting to edge him out of the first team at Spurs but his worth is clear as he is still ahead of both Carlo Cudicini and Heurelho in the goalkeeping pecking order. He has also recently signed a contract to keep him at the club until 2014 when he will just have passed his 43rd birthday. If Brad can still be going at 43 then Becks can surely keep going at 37.
2. Paul Scholes – 38-years-old
If Beckham thought that time playing in other countries might hinder a return to the Premier League then he need only look at Paul Scholes for whom even retirement didn’t stop him turning out for Manchester United. Scholes hung up his boots at the end of the 2010-11 season, but answered Sir Alex’s call to return to battle the following campaign and is still going strong now. In fact, since retiring Scholes has made an impressive 37 appearances in United’s first team, scoring five goals and is certainly not there just to make up the numbers.
Becks may well be looking at his old teammate and think that if he can still play 20 league games in a season and pop up with the odd goal, then why can’t I? After all, David is a year younger than Paul.
1.Ryan Giggs – 39-years-old
The oldest outfield player left in the Premier League, but still playing regularly for a team at the very height of their powers atop the table, Ryan Giggs is something of a footballing phenomenon.
He is the record Premier League appearance holder, which for an outfield player is an incredible achievement, and at the time of writing has already made 14 first team appearances for the Red Devils this campaign, scoring two goals taking his United total to a mammoth 168 goals.
For a player that was so devastating because of his pace and trickery in his earlier years, to reinvent himself and perform as a ball-playing midfielder is something that he deserves great credit for. If Giggs can do this from the starting point of a flying winger, then Beckham can surely manage it from his origins as a player that never relied on pace.
18+. Acca Insurance: Min selection odds 1/10. Acca odds 3/1. Pre-match straight line accas only. 1 free bet up to £/€10 per customer/day, credited within 24 hrs, valid for 7 days, Min 1 boost per day. Full T&Cs apply
New customers only (+18) • £10 dep using promo code "PL35" • Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Withdrawal restrictions and full Ts & Cs apply.
New customer offer, min €/£10 single Sports bet, min odds 1/2 (1.5), on Aston Villa v Everton, Fri 23rd Aug, 2019. Deps using credit/debit cards or PayPal only. Free bet stakes not returned with winnings. T&Cs apply.
New and existing customers. 18+ Enhanced odds on Derby v WBA on Sat Aug 24. Derby to win and Tom Lawrence to score now 7/1. Derby to win and BTTS now 17/4. T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org
New Customers only. Deposit and place a £10 qual bet on first race at York during the Ebor Festival from Wed 21st Aug until Sat 24th Aug. £30 Free Bets split into 6 bets of £5 each, Credit or Debit card only. T&C's apply.
New customers only. 18+, Min deposit £10. Once your £10 qual bet is settled £40 Racing bonus will be triggered. Wagering requirements: Racing 1x, odds of 2.00 min. £10 Casino Bonus 35x. Valid 7 days and Ts&Cs apply
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
- US Open Tennis Betting Preview
- Sergey Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde Betting Preview
- Premier League Game Week 3 Preview
- Third Ashes Test Betting Preview
- UFC 241 Betting Preview
- Premier League Game Week 2 Preview
- Second Ashes Test Betting Preview
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »