The 9 Greatest England V Scotland Matches
England and Scotland met in the first ever international football match on November 30 1872 when they played out a goalless draw at Hamilton Crescent in Glasgow. Over 140 years later the Auld Enemies are still battling it out for supremacy and having played well over 100 times, there have been some incredible battles over the years. He we look at some of the best Anglo-Scottish contests on the football field. Don’t worry, that initial 0-0 draw doesn’t get close.
England 2-0 Scotland June 15 1996
Arguably the most famous moment in the history of England vs Scotland came in this contest as Paul Gascoigne showed he still had the magic touch for his country. England were already 1-0 up thanks to Alan Shearer netting and David Seaman saving a Gary McAllister penalty but the most memorable scene of that day at Wembley was thanks to Gazza. With his bleach blonde hair, he scooped the ball over Colin Hendry’s head, leaving him on the floor, and volleyed home past Andy Goram to score one of the great England goals.
Scotland 2-2 v England June 10 2017
Scotland went in to this game desperate for a win to re-invigorate their qualification hopes for the 2018 World Cup. England went ahead on 70 minutes through Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and looked to be on their way to a relatively straight-forward victory. However Leigh Griffiths stepped up twice in the 87th and 90th minutes to score two stunning free kicks and look to have given the Scots a famous win. It was not to be however as Harry Kane notched a last-gasp equaliser and capped off an extraordinary finish to an otherwise forgettable encounter.
Scotland 2-4 England Apr 03 1954
Over 134,000 people packed into Hampden Park for this World Cup qualifier which doubled up as a British Championship contest at the time. Both teams had already secure a spot in Switzerland but the British Championship was on the line and Scotland made the perfect start with an Allan Brown goal after just seven minutes. However, four goals from the visitors (Broadis, Nicholls, Allen and Mullen) secured the Championship for England, despite a late consolation from Willie Ormond.
England 7-2 Scotland Apr 02 1955
The English boasted a team featuring the likes of Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse, Billy Wright and Duncan Edwards and their superior class was clearly on display at Wembely. Walter Winterbottom’s side had already secured the Home Championship and clearly the freedom suited them as they battered the Auld Enemy. Despite the star names that have stood the test of time, it was Dennis Wilshaw that stole the show with four goals, opening the scoring in the first and closing the scoring in the 84th minutes.
England 5-4 Scotland Apr 10 1920
This classic took place at Hillsborough nearly 100 years ago and remains one of Scotland’s most heart-wrenching defeats to England as they needed a win to claim the British Championship that year. The first-half was a manic one, with England taking the lead twice but going into half-time 4-2 behind as the Scots recovered admirably. The title was within reach but the pressure told as the home side scored three times and ended their opponent’s chances of glory. There was not even anything in this for England as Wales took the title.
England 9-3 Scotland Apr 15 1961
The biggest ever margin of victory in a contest between these sides as the English romped to victory thanks at their London home. Future manager Bobby Robson opened the scoring but Jimmy Greaves grabbed the headlines with a hat-trick whilst captain Johnny Haynes and Bobby Smith both scored twice. Scotland had some decent players on show with Denis Law, Dave Mackay and Ian St John amongst their starting XI, but they could not handle the home side that day.
England 1-5 Scotland Mar 31 1928
This huge win for the Scots at England’s home saw this side dubbed the ‘Wembley Wizards’ as they humbled their oldest rivals. Chief among the wizards was Alec Jackson who bagged a hat-trick and Alec James was not far behind him, netting twice en route to the victory. There wasn’t anything the likes of Dixie Dean could do that day and Bob Kelly’s late consolation made no difference.
England 1-2 Scotland Jun 04 1977
A memorable win for Scotland at Wembley in the British Championship and the images of the fans taking their souvenirs from the stadium after also stick in the memory. A really good Scotland side called on two of their best players as Gordon McQueen opened the scoring and then Kenny Dalglish got their second. Mick Channon scored a penalty with a few minutes to go to make it nervy but the visitors held on before their fans stormed the pitch and made a fair mess of the place.
England 2-3 Scotland Apr 15 1967
The Three Lions may have won the World Cup just the year before and they fielded near enough the same team that lifted the Jules Rimet trophy, but it was the Scots who triumphed in a cracker at Wembley in 1967. England legends jack Charlton and Geoff Hurst scored for the home side but the visitors had some greats in their ranks too as Denis Law, Bobby Lennox and Jim McCalliog secured the win for Bobby Brown’s side.
Today's Main Tip
Liverpool and Roma to draw in the Champions League at 13/4 with Ladbrokes.
Betfair have enhanced for the Champions League match between Liverpool and Roma.
888Sport have an offer related to the Champions League match between Liverpool and Roma.
William Hill have enhanced odds for the Champions League match between Liverpool and Roma.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the Champions League match between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.
888Sport are offering a free bet related to Premier League matches.
888Sport have an offer related to the Europa League match between Arsenal and Atletico Madrid.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »
More videos »