Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
The clashes between Manchester City and Manchester United have thrown up some incredible memories over the years. From one-sided hammerings to fiercely contested draws, we have seen some top class football action featuring great goals and some terrible challenges in this fixture.
Here FREEbets.org.uk takes a look at the 10 greatest meetings between the Manchester giants.
10. Man Utd 2-1 Man City - February 12th 2011
This game was petering out towards a 1-1 draw and would not have got anywhere near this list if it wasn’t for some magic from Wayne Rooney in the 78th minute. An innocuous looking cross came in from Nani on the right, falling behind Rooney near the penalty spot, the odds of him scoring from there were incredibly slim. However, the future England captain leapt into the air and unleashed a bicycle kick which hammered the ball into the top corner past Joe Hart. Yes, it came off his shin, but he achieved exactly what he was trying to so you can’t hold it against him.
9. Man Utd 1-1 Man City - April 21st 2001
Another derby that is remembered for one specific moment rather than the game as a whole, and it was a pretty horrific moment to say the least. Goals from Teddy Sheringham and Steve Howey meant the scoring finished at 1-1, but it was Roy Keane’s red card that stands out in the memory. Holding an incomprehensibly intense grudge against Alf-Inge Haaland for something the Norwegian had said to him four years previously, Keane sought vengeance. His revenge came in the form of a knee-high, studs-first challenge which effectively ended Haaland’s career.
8. Man City 3-1 Man Utd – November 9th 2002
The last Premier League clash between City and United at Maine Road was won by the home side and turned out to be an action-packed contest. The opening 10 minutes were frantic as Nicolas Anelka gave City the lead after just five and then Ole Gunnar Solskjaer equalised after eight. Then it was time to feed the goat. At the time a fairly prolific striker for City, Shaun Goater stepped forward and scored twice, once in each half to claim a memorable victory and provide a great send-off for the old stadium.
7. Man Utd 5-0 Man City - November 10th 1994
United were pretty dominant over City at this point, but their fans still remember this result especially fondly as they battered their rivals at Old Trafford. Eric Cantona opened the scoring before Andrei Kanchelskis bagged a memorable hat-trick, Mark Hughes getting the other goal. The Red Devils also managed a 9-0 home win that season as they hammered Ipswich, but they fell short of winning the title, finishing a point behind Blackburn.
6. Man Utd 0-1 Man City April 27th 1974
This famous contest is actually misremembered in terms of significance, but nevertheless featured a very poignant moment. Dennis Law had been a Manchester United hero, scoring 237 goals in 404 appearances for the Red Devils before he moved to their nearest rivals in 1973 (he had actually played for City from 1960-61 as well). United had a shocking season in 1973-74 and met City in the penultimate game. The only goal was scored by Law – an outrageous back-heel that is often reported as the goal that relegated United from the First Division. That is not the case as they were down anyway, but the sight of Law scoring the winner against United makes the game memorable nonetheless.
5. Man City 2-3 Man Utd – November 7th 1993
City’s team, featuring the likes of Mike Sheron, Alan Kernaghan and Michel Vonk were aiming to cause a huge upset against their local rivals, who would go on to win the Premier League that year by eight points. They were well on the way to doing that as Niall Quinn gave them a two-goal lead at half-time and United looked dead and buried. However, up stepped Eric Cantona who scored twice before Roy Keane netted with four minutes to go to seal an improbable victory and crush the dreams of the Maine Road faithful.
4. Man City 5-1 Man Utd – September 23rd 1989
The Manchester sides finished level on points at the end of the 1989-90 season (United 13th, City 14th) but they were anything but even when they met in September at Maine Road. City romped to a huge victory over Alex Ferguson’s side which was yet to become the title-winning machine it did later in the 90s. David Oldfield and Trevor Morley had City 2-0 up within 15 minutes with Ian Bishop making it 3-0 at half-time. There was a consolation goal from Mark Hughes but another from Oldfield and an Andy Hinchcliffe strike completed the rout. The game was marred by fighting in the stands after a large number of United fans got into the City end, delaying the match by eight minutes at one stage.
3. Man City 3-3 Man Utd - October 27th 1990
Another goal-fest at Maine Road as City stormed into at 3-1 win in a hope of repeating the hammering they gave United on the same ground a year earlier. This included a memorable goal from Colin Hendry, surging forward from the back, playing a one-two and slotting home. However, it wasn’t to be for the Citizens this time around, as a brace from Brian McClair in the 80th and 83rd minutes were enough to break the City fans’ hearts. City would finish 5th that year, one place and three points clear of United.
2. Man Utd 1-6 Man City - October 23 2011
This was United’s worst home defeat since 1955 and it was made even harder to take as it came against their local rivals. City were yet to win the Premier League in their new era of wealth and this was a serious warning shot to the rest of the Premier League that they were ready to compete with the very best. Mario Balotelli got the first two goals before Sergio Aguero made it 0-3 to Roberto Mancini’s side. Darren Fletcher got a consolation for the home side but they unravelled at the end as Eden Dzeko scored twice and David Silva netted at the death. City went on to win the title that season, dramatically sealing victory on the final game of the season.
1. Man Utd 4-3 Man City - September 20 2009
The most dramatic finish to a Manchester derby came in 2009 when Michael Owen proved to be the unlikely hero for the Red Devils. In a pulsating contest, United had lead three times and City had pegged them back after each goal. When Craig Bellamy made it 3-3 in the 90th minute it seemed that it was going to be an afternoon of frustration for the home team. But then Ryan Giggs found Michael Owen in the 96th minute with a sublime pass and the England hero slotted it home to seal an incredible win.
Today's Main Tip
Manchester United to win the Champions League at 16/1 with William Hill.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the FA Cup match between Wigan and Man City.
Boylesports have a promotion for new customers.
Ladbrokes have a price offer related to the Cheltenham Festival.
Winner have offers related to golf tournaments.
Coral have an offer related to the Cheltenham Festival.
BetVictor have a promotion for new customers.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
More videos »
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »