9 Greatest Liverpool Vs Manchester United Games Of The Premier League Era
Liverpool and Manchester United are two of the bitterest rivals in world football and they have endured some real ding-dong battles over the years. United may have had the better of the Premier League era, but that has not stopped the two sides competing fiercely and producing some classic contests. Here are the nine best matches between the Red Devils and the Reds since the Premier League began.
9. May 1999 – Liverpool 2-2 Man Utd
This was a thrilling game at the time as the last minute equaliser for Liverpool, from a United old boy, looked like it could potentially cost the Red Devils their title race with Arsenal. Dwight Yorke and Denis Irwin had put United 0-2 up at Anfield but Jamie Redknapp and then Paul Ince in the dying minutes brought it back to 2-2, which is how it finished. It seemed a massive result, but United managed to win the league by a single point that season.
8. Jan 1999 – Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool
An absolutely heart-breaking result for Liverpool who led for a whopping 85 minutes of this game, only for it to be snatched away from them. This was actually a FA Cup 4th round match and Liverpool had taken the lead after just three minutes through Michael Owen. They held onto that advantage all the way until the 88th minute when Dwight Yorke equalised and just two minutes later Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had won it for Fergie’s boys. A cruel way to go out of the competition for the Merseysiders.
7. Jan 2012 - Liverpool 2-1 Man Utd
Liverpool have not often enjoyed FA Cup success over Manchester United but they did in 2012 and in dramatic fashion. Goals from Daniel Agger and Park Ji-Sung left the score level at the break and it looked like the sides could be heading back to Old Trafford for a replay of the 4th round contest. However, the ever-reliable Dirk Kuyt had different ideas when he popped up with two minutes to go to send the Mancunians packing.
6. Dec 2000 – Man Utd 0-1 Liverpool
Not a spectacular result on paper but this represented the first victory for Liverpool over Man Utd in 10 attempts. They were coming off seven losses and three draws when they headed to Old Trafford. United were clear favourites to extend their unbeaten run over the Reds but Danny Murphy curled in a free-kick from the edge of the box just before half-time and that proved enough to be the difference. It turned out to be the breaking of a curse as United then lost four more straight games against the men from Anfield.
5. Mar 2014 – Man Utd 0-3 Liverpool
This was not a good season for United as they completely failed to deal with the transition from Sir Alex Ferguson to his successor David Moyes – eventually finishing seventh. A serious low point for the Red Devils was their 0-3 home defeat to bitter rivals Liverpool thanks to two Steven Gerrard penalties and a late third from Luis Suarez. It looked like a result that was going to push the Reds onto their first Premier League title, but Brendan Rodgers’ side couldn’t quite get the job done.
4. Sep 2010 – Man Utd 3-2 Liverpool
The Red Devils won the league in 2011 whilst Liverpool had a disappointing season and this game summed up the direction the two sides’ seasons were going in. United took a 2-0 lead thanks to Dimitar Berbatov only for two Steven Gerrard strikes to level things up with 20 minutes to go. However, the Bulgarian’s big day was not to be ruined and he popped up to complete his hat-trick with five minutes to go and win the game for his side.
3. Mar 2009 – Man Utd 1-4 Liverpool
Alex Ferguson’s men went on to win the title in 2009, but it looked like Liverpool might just catch them when they turned up at Old Trafford and hammered their hosts. United actually took the lead through a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty but that did not put off their visitors who banged in four in reply. Goals from Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Fabio Aurelio and Andrea Dossena gave Liverpool a comfortable victory.
2. Sep 1999 – Liverpool 2-3 Man Utd
One that Jamie Carragher would rather forget as the Liverpool legend managed to put two own goals past his own keeper, effectively handing victory to his side’s bitter rivals. Carragher opened the scoring in just the third minute and managed to slot past Sander Westerveld again before half-time, either side of an Andy Cole goal. It was 1-3 to United at half-time and a Patrick Berger effort with 20 minutes to go made for an exciting finish, especially after Cole was red carded, but United held on.
1. Jan 1994 – Liverpool 3-3 Man Utd
Way back in Premier League history, in the days of Andrei Kanchelskis and Mark Wright, Liverpool and Manchester United played out one of the greatest games seen in the league. United raced into a 0-3 lead at Anfield thanks to Steve Bruce, Ryan Giggs and Denis Irwin after just 23 minutes. Sides just did not come back from that kind of deficit against that United side, but the Reds did. In fact, two Nigel Clough goals before half-time seriously reduced the deficit and then Neil Ruddock regained parity for his team with 10 minutes to go.
Today's Main Tip
Manchester United to win the Champions League at 16/1 with William Hill.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the FA Cup match between Wigan and Man City.
William Hill offer insurance for accumulator bets,
William Hill have a promotion for new customers.
Winner have offers related to accumulator bets.
William Hill have a bonus offer related to horse racing.
Boylesports provide insurance against losing sports multiple bets.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
More videos »
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »