Top 10 Football Rivalries
Football gets passions running high at the best of times and no more so than when your team is taking on their biggest rivals. It's these spectacles that really capture the imagination and the ones that fans look forward to all season. Be it your local side taking on their near neighbours to two of the biggest sides in the world going head-to-head, these are the games that really matter and FREEbets.org.uk have rustled up 10 of the feistiest in the game.
10. Rome Derby
AS Roma were founded in 1927 after the merger of three teams based in the Italian capital. It was the brainchild of Bennito Mussolini, who wanted a Rome based club to challenge the dominance of the Northern Italian clubs. Lazio refused the merger and thus a resentment and rivalry was born, with the first 'Derby della Capitale' taking place in 1929. The contest between the two sides from the Eternal City is the one in Italy most likely to throw up some hairy moments both on and off the pitch. In 1979 a Lazio fan became the first fan in Italy to be killed by in-stadium violence when he was hit by a flair from the Roma end leaving the match with an unwanted place in history. The rivalry is also seen as a political one with the 'ultras' of Lazio often seen as having right-wing views where as Roma's followers are seen as more left leaning.
9. Ajax v Feyenoord
A tale of two cities, that sees many of the stereo types about the laid back and liberally tolerant Dutch go out of the window. Amsterdam, where Ajax are based, is seen as cosmipolitan and up-market as the country's captial, where as Rotterdam, where Feyenoord are based, is a port city which is often seen as the gritty more working class of the two. The common phrase in Holland is that 'While Amsterdam dreams, Rotterdam works'. Ajax are by far the more successful on the pitch though Feyenoord lay claim to being the true football club of the proletariat, with their De Kuip stadium producing a great atmosphere on match days, in particularly when Ajax are in town.
8. Belgrade Derby
The clash between Red Star and Partizan Belgrade often sees the stadiums resemble war zones with smoke from flares shrouding the air. Things got even more serious in 2013, when Partizan fans started a full scale fire in the away end on their trip to Red Star's Marakana stadium. Known as the 'Eternal Derby' the two sides have dominated football in Serbia and since the break up of the former Yugoslavia in 1992, have won the league every year but once between them. In total they have won 26 league titles a piece and clashes between the two often lead to nasty scenes in the stands.
7. Istanbul Derby
A rivalry that stretches two continents with Fenerbache coming from Istanbul's Asian side where as Galatasary are from the European. Another rivalry that transcends social classes after Gala were founded by group of students from a public school with Fenerbache the side of the blue collar workers and are affectionately known as the the 'peoples club'. Graeme Souness whilst manager of Galatasaray, was offended by comments made by the Fenerbache chairman and after Galatasaray's cup win away to their rivals Souness planted a flag in his sides colours right in the centre circle of their Fener's stadium.
6. Athens Derby
Rarely has a local derby been dubbed something more impressive than the “Derby of eternal enemies” but not satisfied with that moniker the match between Olympiakos and Panathanaikos is also referred to as “Mother of all battles.” Safe to say it has some build up in the Greek press and so it should. They are the two most successful clubs in the country’s history so are natural rivalries but it also harks back to class differences in the way the teams were set up, differences that still create friction today.
5. Old Firm Derby
The clash between Celtic and Rangers is one steeped in religous and political conflict. Celtic, the club of Glasgow's catholic population, and Rangers whose support is traditionally protestant. Scotland's two biggest clubs contest what is known as the 'Old Firm' derby in a clash that is always a heated encounter though has not been played as regularly due to Rangers recent demise. That still doesn't detract from what is a bitter rivalry that has been marred in the past by sectarian chanting.
4. Germany v Netherlands
One of the standout rivalries at a national level is the bitter feud between Germany and the Netherlands on the football field which puts England’s rivalry with the Germans to shame. It dates back to hatred from WWII and has manifested itself in blatant acts of violence and grotesque amounts of spit being exchanged on the pitch when the two countries have met. The Germans have had the success with their pragmatic footballing approach where as the Dutch and their 'total football' claim to be football's moral victors.
3. Argentina v Brazil
Regularly producing the best players on the planet and being next-door neighbours is bound to create sporting rivalry and that is exactly what exists between Argentina and Brazil. Even in the more gentlemanly footballing days of the 1930s there were incidents of racism and policeman escorting players from the pitch in contests between the team. This has developed into accusations of tranquilising opponents amongst other things, it’s rarely dull between the two nations.
Many would say that River Plate taking on Boca Juniors in the Buenos Aires derby is the greatest spectacle in club football in the world. Rarely do passions in global football run as highly as when these teams meet at either El Monumental or La Bombonera with supposedly 70% of Argentina’s football fans supporting one of the two clubs. It has got the lot, political geographical and cultural differences at Argentina's two biggest sides go head-to-head.
1. El Clasico
One of the most popular games in world football with millions tuning in every time Barcelona and Real Madrid square-off, which is an awful lot across various competitions. Strong political divisions dating that were magnified in the Civil War are the basis for the distain between the two clubs and the immense quality of both sides is what makes it all the more exciting. Pigs heads have been thrown and fingers have been shoved into eyes amongst a plethora of other bizarre things in the fixture’s history. A red-hot rivalry that also encapsulates some of the world's greatest players, making this the biggest club game on the planet.
New customers with Coral can back Harry Kane to score against Panama at 50/1 and the maximum bet is £1.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the World Cup group match between England and Panama - england to win at 25/1.
Up to £100 in Bet Credits for New Customers at bet365 Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. 18+, Time limits and T&Cs apply.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the World Cup group match between Belgium and Tunisia - Belgium to win at 25/1.
Customers new to Coral can back Crystal Ocean at 33/1 to win the Hardwicke Stakes and the maximum bet is £1.
Customers new to Coral can back Germany to beat Sweden at 40/1 and the maximum bet is £1.
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »