Grand National Free Bets
The Grand National is a Grade 3 handicap chase run at Aintree racecourse over 4 miles, three and a half furlongs. It is the most valuable jumps race in Europe and arguably the most famous race in the world. The two circuits include 30 fences and the race has such history that some of them have names, such as Becher’s Brook, Valentines, the Canal Turn and the Chair.
Wolfsburg are 21/20 with Bet365 to beat Nurnberg in the Bundesliga
The global viewing figures have been estimated at between 500 and 600 million people which makes it easily the most watched horse race in the world. The race has been called “the ultimate test of horse and rider” and the people’s race. Its uniqueness attracts millions of once a year punters who would not dream of betting on any other races. It is also by some distance the most watched event in UK racing and viewing figures could increase when ITV cover the race this year.
As the most high profile race of the year the Grand National attracts attention from animal rights organisations. Some well documented fatalities have led to safety modifications which have taken away some of the risks to the horses without losing the intrinsic nature of the race. Statistically, accidents are more common in the National than in conventional chases but there seems to be a good balance between setting a demanding challenge and eliminating the potential of injuries to the horses.
2019 Grand National
The 2019 Grand National takes place at Aintree on Saturday April 6. The current favourite (December 7) is last year's winner Tiger Roll who can be backed at odds of 16/1 at Ladbrokes.
2018 Grand National Result
- Tiger Roll (Davy Russell) 10/1
- Pleasant Company (David Mullins) 25/1
- Bless the Wings (Jack Kennedy) 40/1
- Anibale Fly (Barry Geraghty) 10/1
- Milansbar (Bryony Frost) 25/1
- Road to Riches (Sean Flanagan) 33/1
- Gas Line Boy (Robert Dunne) 25/1
- Valseur Lido (Keith Donaghue) 66/1
- Vieux Lion Rouge (Tom Scudamore) 25/1
- Raz De Maree (Robbie Power) 20/1
- Seeyouatmidnight (Brian Hughes) 11/1
- Baie Des Iles (Ms Katie Walsh) 16/1
There were 38 runners and 12 finished. All horses returned safely to the paddock. The winner won in a photo finish and was trained by Gordon Elliott. Davy Russell was the oldest jockey in the race.
Grand National History
If the Grand National is the world’s most famous race than arguably Red Rum is the most famous horse. He is the only three times winner of the National and was trained on the beach at Southport which is just up the coast from Liverpool. The horse suffered career threatening injuries but the sea water cured them so that ‘Rummy’ was able to win three Nationals and finish second in two others.
George Stevens is the leading jockey with five winners but they were between 1856 and 1870. Three trainers have won four Nationals including Ginger McCain who trained Red Rum and Amberleigh House who won the race in 2004, 27 years after Red Rum’s last win. His owner, Noel Le Mare, is one of three owners to have had three wins in the race. One of the others is Trevor Hemmings who could become the first four time winner if Many Clouds wins the race again.
Many punters use trends to eliminate some of the runners in what is usually a full field of 40 horses. Eight of the last ten winners were aged between 9 and 12, had a handicap rating of over 135, carried 11 stone 6 pounds or less, had previously won over three miles, had run in 10 chases or more and won one worth at least £13,000. A strange fact is that five of the last ten winners ran over hurdles in the season they won the Grand National, the most gruelling chase of the year.
Since 1977 only Neptune Collognes (2012) and Many Clouds (2015) have carried more than 11st 5lbs. Every winner since 1970 had won over three miles and a horse under the age of eight has not won the race in 75 years. Seven of the last 18 winners had previous experience of the Grand National fences and 24 of the last 28 winners were ridden prominently from the start of the second circuit. Sixteen of the last 27 winners were in the first eight in the betting and since 2000 only one outright favourite have obliged but two joint favourites have won the race.
The Last Twenty Winners of the Grand National
- 2018 - Tiger Roll (10/1) Gordon Ellliott,Davy Russell
- 2017 – One for Arthur (14/1) Lucinda Russell, Derek Fox.
- 2016 – Rule The World (33/1) Mouse Morris, David Mullins
- 2015 – Many Clouds (25/1) Oliver Sherwood, Leighton Aspell
- 2014 – Pineau De Re (25/1) Richard Newland, Leighton Aspell
- 2013 – Auroras Encore (66/1) Sue Smith, Ryan Mania
- 2012 – Neptune Collonges (33/1) Paul Nicholls, Daryl Jacob
- 2011 – Ballabriggs (14/1) Donald McCain, Jr, Jason Maguire
- 2010 – Don’t Push It (10/1JF) Jonjo O’Neill, Tony McCoy
- 2009 – Mon Mome (100/1) Venetia Williams, Liam Treadwell
- 2008 – Comply or Die (7/1JF) David Pipe, Timmy Murphy
- 2007 – Silver Birch (33/1) Gordon Eliott, Robbie Power
- 2006 – Nubersixvalverde (11/1) Martin Brassil, Niall Madden
- 2005 – Hedgehunter (7/1F) Willie Mullins, Ruby Walsh
- 2004 – Amberleigh House (16/1) Ginger McCain, Richard Lee
- 2003 – Monty’s Pass (16/1) Jimmy Mangan, Barry Geraghty
- 2002 – Bindaree (20/1) Nigel Twiston-Davies, Jim Culloty
- 2001 – Red Marauder (33/1) Norman Mason, Richard Guest
- 2000 – Papillon (10/1) Ted Walsh, Ruby Walsh
- 1999 – Bobbyjo (10/1) Tommy Carberry, Paul Carberry
Up to £100 in Bet Credits for New Customers at bet365 Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. 18+, Time limits and T&Cs apply.
New UK and IRE customers only. Min bet £/€10 or £/€10 e/w on 12:10 Cheltenham 14.12.18 . Free Bets paid within 1 hr of race settling to be used on remaining Cheltenham races 14.12.18. T&Cs apply 18+ BeGambleAware.org
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Min deposit £5. Paypal & some deposit types excl. Winning bets paid in cash at normal price. Enhanced odds paid in £5 free bets within 24 hours, valid for 4 days, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
New customers only. £10 min dep using promo code "888ODDS" req. Qual bet must be placed at normal odds Min/max bet £5, m Extra winnings paid in FREE BETS within 72 hrs of qual bet settlement and expire 7 days after credit. T&Cs apply
18+. New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain dep types and bet types excl. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »