Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
If you have a successful sporting career it is hard not to be handed a nickname at some stage and in some sports it is almost mandatory to come up with one. As a result there have been thousands over the years and we at FREEbets.org.uk have picked 10 of the best.
10. Kobe Bryant – Black Mamba
There are plenty of nicknames to choose from in the world of basketball but Bryant’s is one of the coolest. It is as a result of his ability to strike with 99% accuracy at maximum speed, in rapid succession. Apparently.
9. Claudio Caniggia – Son of the Wind
There are many ways to describe a quick footballer but the nickname of the Argentinian winger really stirred up the imagination. In a career that saw him play in Italy, Portugal, Scotland, Qatar and his homeland he impressed all with his pace.
8. Jason Leonard – The Fun Bus
Leonard’s former England teammate Martin Bayfield handed the prop this nickname after seeing him run across a field in a red shirt and noting that he resembled a London bus.
7. Steve Beaton – The Bronzed Adonis
It is fair to say that the 1996 BDO world champion would never have been referred to as an Adonis in any other sport but on the oche he is the height of rugged manliness that the ladies love. His trademark mullet and moustache combo may have long gone but he still cuts an impressive figure.
6. Ashley Giles – The King of Spain
For Giles’ testimonial year in 2000 his county Warwickshire ordered 200 mugs with the title “King of Spin” emblazoned on them. A mistake at the printers though saw them arrive entitled “King of Spain” and the nickname stuck.
5. Shaun White –The Flying Tomato
One of the greatest snow and skateboarders on the planet is recognisable for his flowing red hair. When he is hurling himself through the air on either board and if you squint very hard he could just resemble a flying tomato.
4. Jack Nicklaus – Golden Bear
The 18-time major winner was big, imposing, blond and won an awful lot of money, put all this together and what you have is a Golden Bear. Simple.
3. Wladimir/Vitali Klitschko – Dr Steelhammer/Dr Ironfist
Names given to fighters are there to instil fear into their opponents and few are more imposing than the sobriquets of the Klitschko brothers who have dominated the heavyweight division in recent years. Both brothers hold degree certificates which is why they have been labelled the doctors.
2. Anthony Hamilton – The Sheriff of Pottingham
Snooker is known for some inventive nicknames but Anthony Hamilton’s really takes the biscuit. Being from Nottingham and regularly sporting a little goatee beard this pseudonym really does suit him down to the ground.
1. Ray Ewry – The Human Frog
One of the greatest Olympic athletes of all time but one you may well not have heard of. Ewry competed in standing jump events which no longer exist but are identical to the modern high, long and triple jumps just without a run up. He won eight gold medals from 1900-1908 and gained himself the moniker The Human Frog.
Today's Main Tip
Manchester United to win the Champions League at 16/1 with William Hill.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the FA Cup match between Wigan and Man City.
Ladbrokes have a price offer related to the Cheltenham Festival.
Winner have offers related to golf tournaments.
Winner have offers related to accumulator bets.
Sun Bets are offering free bets related to horse racing.
Boylesports provide insurance against losing sports multiple bets.
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
More videos »
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »