Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
The Europa League, formally the Uefa Cup used to be a happy hunting ground for British clubs but not in recent years, we look at the heartbreaks for the likes of Fulham and Celtic.
Tottenham are now favourites to win this year’s Europa League with Chelsea just behind them in the odds but it has not always been a happy tournament for British teams. Tottenham and Liverpool may have shared the first ever two titles but only one British team has lifted the trophy in nigh-on 30 years now. There have been some close calls along the way since then though, here are the top five British heartbreaks in the competition according to us at FREEbets.org.uk.
5. Middlesbrough 2005-06
The run that saw Steve McLaren’s side reach the Uefa Cup Final in 2006 was a real fairy tale story; not only for a club like Middlesbrough to reach a European final, but the way they did it was like a Hollywood script.
They came in the round before the group stage where they saw off Greek minnows Skoda Xanthi before impressively topping their group which included AZ Alkmaar. Things would begin to get really tough in the knockout rounds though.
First up came Stuttgart who would go on to win the Bundesliga the following year, Boro scraped through on away goals before then doing the same to Roma in the round of 16. Miracles began to happen in the last eight though when they recovered from 2-0 down in the first leg and 1-0 down in the second to somehow come through against Basel and make the semis.
They again gave their opponents a head start in the final four as they lost the first leg 1-0 then were 1-0 down in the reverse fixture only to win 4-1 and make the final in Eindhoven. It was a sensational run that was unfortunately brought to an abrupt halt by an excellent Sevilla side who comfortably won the final 4-0, but it should not take the shin off what was a great achievement for the English side.
4. Rangers 2007-08
Teams that drop down from the Champions League group stages are often expected to do well in the Europa League but it is safe to say that few expected Rangers to make as big an impact in the competition as they did in 2008.
It may not have been the most spectacular of cup runs with just five goals scored in their five games in the competition but their fans didn’t care as a Scottish team made it to the final of the tournament for only the third time in history.
Wins of any kind over the likes of Panathanaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina are impressive and that’s exactly what the Gers managed that year before losing out to the impressive Russian side Zenit St Petersburg in the final. Even then it looked like their rear-guard action might see them through as after 70 minutes it was goalless in Manchester. However, Zenit scored twice late on to put an end to Rangers’ great run.
3. Dundee United 1986-87
In the not too distant past the Uefa Cup final was played over two legs (the last being in 1997) and Dundee United suffered defeat in one such of these finals, only after a quite superb run in the competition though.
Jim Mclean’s side were a respected European side at the time having reached the semi-finals of the European Cup just a few years earlier but were certainly not considered as favourites going into their Uefa Cup campaign. They kicked off with wins over RC Lens and Romanian side Universitatea Craiova before beating Hajduk Split to reach the quarter-finals.
The last eight was the scene of a memorable achievement which would seem inconceivable nowadays as the Scots beat the mighty Barcelona both home and away to make it into the semis. Borussia Monchengladbach were then seen off and the Terrors were into the final.
There they met IFK Goteborg who had seen off Inter Milan earlier in the competition. The first leg in Sweden ended just 1-0 to the home side so United had hope of turning it around but the 1-1 draw at Tannadice was not enough and they were left with runners-up medals.
2. Celtic 2002-03
Martin O’Neill came incredibly close to masterminding one of Celtic’s greatest moments when his side, led by the inspirational Henrik Larsson narrowly lost out in the final of the Uefa Cup in 2003.
Back when there was no group stage in the competition Celtic kicked off their campaign with a massive 10-1 aggregate win over Lithuanian side Suduva before the real test started in the second round with a big match against Blackburn Rovers. The Bhoys scored a memorable win both home and away to comfortably progress to see off Celta Vigo and Stuttgart, both of which were tight encounters that the Scots just scraped through in the end but were impressive victories nonetheless.
Then came a massive game against another English club but this time in the more intimidating shape of Liverpool who had won the competition two years prior. Things looked to be in the Reds’ favour as well when they drew the first leg 1-1 in Glasgow but a famous 2-0 win at Anfield saw Celtic progress and go on to beat Boavista in the semis to reach the finals.
There they met the mighty Porto where two goals from Henrik Larsson (his 10th and 11th of the tournament) were enough to take it into extra-time before the Brazilian Derlei scored the winner in the 115th minute. It was a cruel end to a tremendous journey for the Scots.
1. Fulham 2009-10
In one of the longest cup runs of all time Fulham miraculously made it all the way from the third preliminary round to the final of the 2009-10 Europa League.
The Cottagers began their campaign at the end of July 2009 with a two-legged encounter against Lithuanian side Vetra before having to see off Russian team Amkar Prem in a play-off round before they could even enter the group stage.
They made it through a tough league campaign finishing second behind Roma and displacing former Champions League sides Basel and CSKA Sofia in the process. Things got no easier for Roy Hodgson’s side though as during the knockout stage they had to overcome Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, Wolfsburg and Hamburg on their way to the final with a 4-1 win over the Italian side in the quarter-finals the highlight.
They were faced with their toughest task yet in the final against Athletico Madrid, a game they took into extra time before cruelly being beaten with a 116th minute Diego Forlan goal. It was a heart-breaking end but an incredible achievement just to be in the showpiece event.
Up to £100 in Bet Credits for New Customers at bet365 Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. 18+, Time limits and T&Cs apply.
New UK and IRE customers only. Min bet £/€10 or £/€10 e/w on 12:10 Cheltenham 14.12.18 . Free Bets paid within 1 hr of race settling to be used on remaining Cheltenham races 14.12.18. T&Cs apply 18+ BeGambleAware.org
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Min deposit £5. Paypal & some deposit types excl. Winning bets paid in cash at normal price. Enhanced odds paid in £5 free bets within 24 hours, valid for 4 days, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
New customers only. £10 min dep using promo code "888ODDS" req. Qual bet must be placed at normal odds Min/max bet £5, m Extra winnings paid in FREE BETS within 72 hrs of qual bet settlement and expire 7 days after credit. T&Cs apply
18+. New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain dep types and bet types excl. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »