The Oscars - Free Bets and new Cusomer Incentives
The Academy Awards are known universally as The Oscars Ceremony. It's the biggest movie award ceremony in the world and presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Actors, producers and directors dream of getting their hands on an Oscar statuette as the awards recognize the greatest achievements in the movie industry over the past year.
The award ceremony first took place in 1929 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in front of an audience of 270 people and lasted just 15 minutes. The awards have been known as The Oscars since 1931. Just why they have acquired that title isn't known for sure. The most accepted explanation is that the Academy's executive secretary Margaret Herrick felt the statue resembled her uncle Oscar.
They were first televised in 1953 and the event is now watched annually in more than 200 countries and lasts several hours. A whole range of famous people have hosted the awards, usually top comedians with Bob Hope holding the record for hosting the awards on 19 occasions.
Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences vote for who they should win each category. Nominations are announced at the end of January with the ceremony taking place in February. Once the nominees have been announced, focus is switched to looking at the potential winners and as with all major events these days, there is potential to be had in the Oscars betting market!
2017 Oscar Winners
The 2017 Oscars Awards were held at the Doby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles on February 26. For the first time they were hosted by Jimmy Kimmel and included a moment that will live forever in Oscars history. That happened when the magic envelope was opened and 'La La La Land' was named Best Picture. They then noticed that the wrong envelope had been opened and it was actually 'Moonlight' that had won the award.
- Best Picture - Moonlight
- Best Director - Damian Chazelle
- Best Actor - Casey Affleck for Manchester by the Sea
- Best Actress - Emma Stone for La La Land
- Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali for Moonlight
- Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis for Fences
- Best Animated Film - Zootopia
- Best Original Song - City of Stars
Bets Available on the Oscars
The most popular market - and the most prestigious award - is the Oscar for Best Picture. Markets are available on all the major Oscar categories and you can also bet on how many Oscars a particular film will win. More novelty based markets are available also such as whether or not recipients will drop their award on stage and this year there is also a special market for La La Land. With the film nominated for a joint record 14 awards, there are odds currently being offered on whether or not it claim a clean sweep and win each award it is nominated for.
2018 Oscars Betting
It's early days yet but there are already some front-runners to win the Best Picture award at the 2018 Oscars ceremony. Paddy Power have the movie 'Dunkirk' as the 3/1 co-favourite with 'The Papers.' Here's a look at the current contenders;
- Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan film about the Dunkirk evacuation in World War II with stellar cast including Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Harry Styles.
- The Papers - Steven Spielberg movie starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. It tells the story of former Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham and the publishing of leaked information re plans to go to war in Vietnam.
- The Shape of Water - Romantic fantasy movie starring Charlotte Hawkins. It tells the story of a mute janitor who falls in love with an amphibious creature.
- Darkest Hour - British war drama starring Gary Oldman as Sir Winston Churchill .
- Call Be By Your Name - Coming of age drama about a young man in Italy in the 1980s who falls in love with Oliver as they bond over their sexuality, their Jewish heritage and the landscape.
- Detroit - This is based on the true story about riots that took place in Detroit in 1967.
Previous Oscars winners
A list of Oscar winners is almost the same as a list of the greatest screen actors, actresses and directors of the 20th and 21st century.
The most Oscars won by a movie is 11 achieved by Ben Hur, Titanic and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King which was nominated in 11 categories and won every single one. The most nominations for a film is 14 for All About Eve, Titanic and most recently La La Land.
Walt Disney won 22 Oscars including a record four in a year in 1954. In all he was given 26 Oscars as he also won four honorary Oscars.
The most Oscars won by a female is Edith Head who won eight for costume design.
The youngest winner of an Oscar is Tatum O'Neal who won a Best Supporting Actress award for 'Paper Moon' when she was just 10 years old. Justin Henry was just eight when being nominated for Best Supporting Actor in the film 'Kramer vs Kramer.'
The most nominations ever have gone to Meryl Streep who has been nominated 18 times, but has only won three Oscars so far. Katharine Hepburn holds the record for the most Oscars won for acting, with four, all for Best Actress.
Latest Media Betting Tip
Back Anthony Joshua to win SPOTY at 1/5 with William Hill.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the Six Nations fixture between Ireland and Wales.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the Premier League match between Liverpool and West Ham.
Boylesports have on offer related to matches in the Six Nations.
Betfair have enhanced odds for the Six Nations match between England and Scotland.
888Sport have free bets related to the race meeting at Kempton.
888Sport are offering a free bet related to the Premier League match between Man Utd and Chelsea.
More videos »
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »