10 Greatest English Wins Over Spanish Teams In The Champions League
As Liverpool prepare to face Real Madrid in the 2018 Champions League final, we find them some inspiration by looking at the 10 best performances by English teams against Spanish sides over the years.
- Chelsea 3-0 Valencia 2011/12 Group Stage
Chelsea went onto win the 2012 Champions League final, but they were not far from going out of the competition at the group stage. Having drawn in Genk and lost in Leverkusen, Chelsea went into their final group game against Valencia needing a win at Stamford Bridge. Considering they had drawn in Spain and Valencia were coming off a 7-0 battering of Genk, this was no guarantee.
However, the Blues put fears behind them early as Didier Drogba scored after three minutes and they went on to win 3-0, eliminating the Spaniards from the competition in the process.
- Leeds 3-0 Deportivo - 2000/01 Quarter-final first leg
It is easy to forget what a huge achievement it was for Leeds to reach the Champions League semi-finals in 2001, knocking out a superb Deportivo side in the last eight.
Deportivo has won La Liga the year before and finished second in 2001, they were an extremely good team, and Leeds despatched them 3-0 at Elland Road. Goals from Ian Harte, Alan Smith and Rio Ferdinand gave them the win, and despite a 2-0 loss in northern Spain, they were into the last four.
Leeds fans who were lucky enough to be there will never forget battering the Spanish champions in West Yorkshire.
- Valencia 1-2 Chelsea 2006/07 Quarter-final second leg
After drawing the first leg 1-1 at home it was always going to be a struggle for the Blues to make it past Valencia into the semi-finals. This was made all the more difficult when Fernando Morientes put the Spaniards ahead after 32 minutes.
However, Chelsea kept their nerve and after Joe Cole arrived from the bench at half-time, Andriy Shevcheko equalised before Michael Essien grabbed a dramatic 90th minute winner.
- Chelsea 4-2 Barcelona 2004/05 Round of 16 second leg
This was one of Jose Mourinho’s finest moments as Chelsea manager, coming back from defeat in the first leg to knock out one of the greatest teams in recent memory.
The Blues had been beaten 2-1 in Barcelona, so the tie was still alive, but no one expected Chelsea to be 3-0 up in 20 minutes at Stamford Bridge. This was a Barca side that included Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto’o, Deco and Puyol, and they were brushed aside 4-2 in the end.
Goals from Eidur Gudjohnsen, Frank Lampard, Damien Duff, and John Terry were enough to see off Frank Rijkaard’s men in some style, despite a memorable toe-poke from Ronaldinho for the Catalans.
- Real Madrid 0-1 Arsenal 2005/06 Round of 16 first leg
Arsenal went to Madrid to take on the likes of Zidane, Beckham, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo and Robinho. Meanwhile the Gunners boasted the likes of Senderos, Eboue, Flamini and Reyes, but they came away with a win.
Unsurprisingly, it was captain and talisman Thierry Henry who scored the only goal of the game to give the Londoners a memorable victory in the Spanish capital.
- Leicester vs Sevilla 2016/17 Round of 16 second leg
Leicester City continued their fairytale story into the 2016-17 Champions League after winning the Premier League the previous season. They handled their group easily but were then expected to be ousted by Sevilla in the second round, however, they had other plans.
The Foxes lost the away leg 2-1, but Captain Wes Morgan levelled the tie up in the first half before Marc Albrighton gave the home side the lead in the second. Jamie Vardy wound up Samir Nasri to the extent he got himself sent off in what was a classic performance from the boys in blue.
- Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool 2006/07 Round of 16 first leg
Liverpool really did pull off some amazing results during this period of Champions League football, and their victory in Barcelona in 2007 was certainly one of them.
Starting with just Dirk Kuyt up front, not many expected them to come away from the Nou Camp with much, but they did, they came away with an incredible victory.
Barca had started very brightly and Deco put them ahead early, but Liverpool rode their luck and stayed in the game, allowing Craig Bellamy to equalise just before half-time and John Arne Riise grabbing the winner with 15 minutes to play with a rare right-footed strike. It was a slightly lucky win, but still an awesome result.
- Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid 2008/09 Round of 16 second leg
Liverpool had already gone away to Real Madrid and won 0-1, which was a fabulous performance, but they outdid themselves in the return leg at Anfield back in 2009.
The Reds were up against a fearsome-looking defence of Sergio Ramos, Fabio Cannavaro and Pepe, but they stuck four past them thanks to an opener from Fernando Torres, two from Steven Gerrard and one from Andrea Dossena.
To so thoroughly despatch a team full of world class players was an immense achievement from the Merseysiders.
- Man Utd vs Barcelona 2007/08 Semi-final second leg
After a goalless stinker in Barcelona it took something special to separate the two sides at Old Trafford and Paul Scholes provided it.
The midfield maestro hammered in a screamer from 30-yards just 14 minutes into the second leg and Manchester United were resolute enough to keep out the likes of Messi, Eto’o and Deco for a full 180 minutes and make it into the final.
It wasn’t quite as memorable a performance as some thrashing on this list, but in terms of discipline and following a plan it was absolutely superb, especially in a semi-final against a team who had won the competition just two years previously.
- Chelsea vs Barcelona 2011/12 Semi-final
This could be the luckiest pair of performances in Champions League history, but in another way it was the absolute best as Chelsea stood up to the battering they were taking and somehow snuck through over two legs.
In the first clash at Stamford Bridge, Barcelona had 19 shots to Chelsea’s four, but the Blues got through 1-0 thanks to a Didier Drogba goal.
In the second leg, the home side managed 17 shots to the Blues’ seven, and an incredible 73% possession, but the game ended 2-2 as Fernando Torres famously slotted a late equaliser to take Chelsea through 3-2 on aggregate.
By no means the most dominant performance in Champions League history, but arguably, the very best.
18+. Acca Insurance: Min selection odds 1/10. Acca odds 3/1. Pre-match straight line accas only. 1 free bet up to £/€10 per customer/day, credited within 24 hrs, valid for 7 days, Min 1 boost per day. Full T&Cs apply
New customers only, limited to one per person. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £/€10. T&Cs apply.
All losing pre-match or in-play bets on ICC games with min 1.70 odds, min stake £10 For each £100 negative balance you will get 10% Cashback as a PWR Bet. Promotion valid until August 11th, 2019. T&C’s apply.
New Customers only - £10 min dep using promo code "RACING" - First bet must be placed on any market - Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement Full T&Cs apply.
Sign up to Paddy Power & the first time you play Beat the Drop, you will automatically receive 30 days of free play. Unlimited play of a ‘10 Q - €1,000 Pot’ game. You can only enter one game at a time. T&Cs apply.
New customers only (18+) • £10 dep using promo code "RACE888" • Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement expiring after 7 days.WIthdrawal restrictions and Full T&C’s apply
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
- UFC 240 Betting Preview
- World Matchplay Darts Betting Preview
- Whyte vs Rivas and Pacquiao vs Thurman Betting Preview
- The Open 2019 Betting Preview
- Cricket World Cup Final Betting Preview
- Nathan Gorman vs Daniel Dubois Betting Preview
- Womens World Cup Final Betting Preview
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »