10 Uncapped Players That Could Make The England World Cup Squad
World Cup years see a desperate scramble for places on that all-important plane and 2018 will be no different as every player eligible for England fights for a spot in the squad in Russia.
Plenty of familiar faces will be there but there is still time for uncapped players to make it into the final 23. Here are 10 men who are yet to pull on the England shirt but can still make the World Cup cut.
- Ben Mee
There are plenty of centre-backs to choose from for Gareth Southgate, but none really look like nailed on selections for the first team and there are opportunities for newcomers to make their case for a trip to Russia.
Michael Keane and Harry Maguire have both been capped recently and Burnley’s Ben Mee is either on or very close to their level. He has been a rock solid, reliable performer in a very good Clarets defence which has been especially impressive this season.
At 28-years-old he has plenty of experience, including some at England youth level, so would be a pretty safe pair of hands to call upon if necessary.
- Alfie Mawson
For the same reasons Ben Mee might get a call-up for Russia, there might just be a space for Alfie Mawson on that plane if he continues to impress at centre-back for Swansea.
The Swans are not having a good season by any stretch of the imagination, but Mawson continues to attract suitors and has been linked to a number of other Premier League clubs.
He has six Under-21 caps so he is on the England radar, and he has the added bonus of being a genuine goal threat from the back. 18 goals in his previous three seasons is a very decent return for a centre-back and might just tip the balance in his favour if it comes down to a tight call between a few options.
- Mark Albrighton
No one would be getting excited about this selection, but Mark Albrighton has been a reliable and consistent performer in the Premier League for the last four years, winning the title along the way.
The winger has played and scored in the Champions League as well, so he has experience on the biggest club stage available. He is not a great goal-scorer and it is not like any international side will be quivering in their boots at the prospect of facing Mark Albrighton and has done as much in the Premier League as the likes of Nathan Redmond and Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who have both been capped recently.
Stranger things have happened.
- Lewis Cook
The captain of England’s 2017 under-20 World Cup winning side, Lewis Cook is bound to get a senior cap at some point in the future, and it might just happen in time for the next World Cup.
The Bournemouth midfielder is clearly well thought of by England manager Gareth Southgate as he was called up for the friendly against Brazil at Wembley last year. Cook didn’t get onto the field, but he is clearly not too far away from doing so if he made it into that squad.
He has not had the greatest season so far, neither has his team, but a strong end to the campaign would put him well in contention.
- Charlie Austin
England have their first choice striker in Harry Kane, but after that there is not a lot of depth at all. The fact Tammy Abraham and Dominic Solanke were called up to a recent squad proves that, as the likes of Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck and Jermain Defoe make no real case at all for their inclusion.
If any forward can go on a bit of a hot streak towards the end of the season then they could easily nab a place in the final squad. Charlie Austin appeared to be on one of those hot streaks before picking up an injury, but if he returns to full fitness and gets into double figures for the season, then there is no reason he cannot make the final cut.
- Andre Gray
Watford shelled out nearly £20m for Andre Gray in the summer and it has not quite worked out, just yet, with only a handful of goals by the turn of the year. However, he has time to turn that around and go on a decent run by the end of the season.
Quick and strong, Gray has the attributes to be a top striker, but her really needs to rediscover the form that saw him secure the big money move from Burnley.
It would take a very impressive end to the season, but as mentioned, there is a spot available up front and Gray could fill it.
- Callum Wilson
Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson can also throw his hat into the ring for a late call-up to the squad if he can get on a bit of a hot streak before the end of the campaign.
The forward has been blighted by injured since Bournemouth’s arrival in the Premier League in 2014, but his goal-scoring record when he has been playing has been pretty good. If he can remain on the field until the summer then he can get ahead of his rivals in the race to be back-up to Harry Kane.
Something of a poacher, he could be very useful to bring on in the latter stages of a game when England are searching for a goal.
- Michail Antonio
The West Ham winger is a bit mercurial, but he is undoubtedly dangerous on his day. Pacey, direct and lethal in the air, he has been a surprise hit since joining the Hammers from Nottingham Forest in 2015.
Antonio has been called up to the England squad by both Sam Allardyce and Gareth Southgate but hasn’t yet got off the substitute’s bench. However, this clearly shows he is in the thoughts of those who matter.
He would be a bit of a wildcard, but England do not have a lot of options out wide and he may well prove to be a tempting option for Southgate.
- Mason Holgate
Thanks to injuries and some impressive performances, Mason Holgate has become a regular fixture in the Everton defence in the Premier League this season.
At just 21-years-old, the former Barnsley man still has a lot to learn, but he is developing well, has picked up numerous caps at England youth level and has the added bonus of being able to play at centre-back and full-back. Flexibility and adaptability are key when choosing a tournament squad.
The Toffees are not exactly pulling up trees this season, but if Holgate continues to impress, despite the team’s poor results, then he might just sneak on the plane.
- Demarai Gray
The 21-year-old has begun to fulfil some of his immense potential this season with Leicester City and is pushing for a place in the England squad having racked up nearly 30 caps at youth level.
Gray has still not reached the levels of consistency required to demand a place in the national team, but his pace and trickery will make him an appealing option to bring off the bench.
The youngster will have to put in some eye-catching performances before the summer to give himself a chance, but he is more than capable of doing just that.
18+. Acca Insurance: Min selection odds 1/10. Acca odds 3/1. Pre-match straight line accas only. 1 free bet up to £/€10 per customer/day, credited within 24 hrs, valid for 7 days, Min 1 boost per day. Full T&Cs apply
New customers only (+18) • £10 dep using promo code "PL35" • Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Withdrawal restrictions and full Ts & Cs apply.
New customers only • £10 min dep using promo code "BOOST" req • Qual bet must be placed at the normal odds • max bet £5 • Extra winnings paid in FREE BETS added within 72 hrs of qual bet settlement. Full T&C’s apply
New customer offer, min €/£10 single Sports bet, min odds 1/2 (1.5), on Aston Villa v Everton, Fri 23rd Aug, 2019. Deps using credit/debit cards or PayPal only. Free bet stakes not returned with winnings. T&Cs apply.
New Customers only. Deposit and place a £10 qual bet on first race at York during the Ebor Festival from Wed 21st Aug until Sat 24th Aug. £30 Free Bets split into 6 bets of £5 each, Credit or Debit card only. T&C's apply.
New customers only. 18+, Min deposit £10. Once your £10 qual bet is settled £40 Racing bonus will be triggered. Wagering requirements: Racing 1x, odds of 2.00 min. £10 Casino Bonus 35x. Valid 7 days and Ts&Cs apply
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
- US Open Tennis Betting Preview
- Sergey Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde Betting Preview
- Premier League Game Week 3 Preview
- Third Ashes Test Betting Preview
- UFC 241 Betting Preview
- Premier League Game Week 2 Preview
- Second Ashes Test Betting Preview
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »