4 World Cup 2018 Group Stage Shock Exits To Look Out For
A World Cup does not go by without some shock results and these don’t usually take long to start coming. There are always some fancied teams that drop out at the group stage and this year will be no different.
Four years ago, Spain, Italy, England and Portugal all fell at the first hurdle. In 2010, France, Italy, Switzerland and Denmark were the ones to go home early. It will happen again in Russia, and here are the most likely candidates for a group stage exit…
Group A – Russia
The host nation have not enjoyed an ideal preparation for their first World Cup on home soil and things could go quite badly wrong for them this summer.
At the time of writing they have not won in five matches, their last victory coming back in October 2017 at home to South Korea. They have not beaten a top level opponent since a friendly victory over Portugal in November 2015.
Their head coach, Stanislav Cherchesov, does not have much pedigree and has won just five of his 18 games in charge since taking over in August 2016. The Russian squad is also lacking quality in a number of areas, and will probably be very short of goals.
Fyodor Smolov and Artem Dzyuba will be the men tasked with finding the back of the net for the home nation but neither are proven on the biggest stage of them all. Both have impressed in the Russian Premier League and for their national team in the past, but this is a huge step up. Dzyuba boasts an impressive international scoring record of 11 goals in 22 appearances. However, these goals have come against Liechtenstein (5), Moldova (2), Costa Rica (2), Sweden and Serbia.
Their group matches them against Uruguay, Egypt and Saudi Arabia. The South Americans are the clear bit of quality in there and it will likely come down to Russia vs Egypt for second place. The Africans have Mohamed Salah to call upon, and he might just break Russian hearts.
Russia not to qualify from Group A is available at 12/5 with William Hill.
Group C – Denmark
There is very little between two teams in Group C, and it may well be very close between whether it is Denmark or Peru that make it into the knockout stages of the World Cup.
The other sides in the group are France and Australia with the former expected to coast into the last 16 and Australia unlikely to cause anyone much trouble. The battle for second place will be fierce between the Danish and the Peruvians.
Peru have a very good chance thanks to their sturdy defence. In their last six games they have conceded just two goals, they are well organised and can keep things very tight against the opposition that isn’t quite at the highest level.
Qualification saw them draw home and away with Argentina and beat Uruguay, so they can certainly mix it with the big boys. They are also in fine form and confidence is high as they have not lost in 12 games – winning eight and drawing four.
Denmark are solid enough, but can struggle for goals and could easily find themselves frustratingly beaten by the Peruvians, led by Jefferson Farfan, who has played in Russia for the last 18 months.
Denmark to be eliminated at the group stage is available at 13/10 with Unibet
Group D – Argentina
They might be one of the favourites to win the World Cup (10/1 with 188Bet) and they might possess the favourite to be the top goal scorer (Lionel Messi 10/1 with SportingBet), but Argentina could also crash out at the group stages.
They might have eventually come third in South American qualification, but it was a very poor campaign for a squad of their ability, winning just seven of 18 games. Beaten at home by Paraguay and Ecuador whilst losing away to Bolivia.
Since getting over the line in qualification they have been beaten in friendlies by Nigeria and Spain, conceding 10 goals in the process. It is their defence that will cost them in Russia, they might have a fearsome frontline featuring Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala, but their defence is relatively very poor and they have Sergio Romero in goal who has not played regularly at club level for years.
In Group D they are alongside Iceland, Croatia and Nigeria, all of whom are tricky contests that will pose problems. Unless their strikers can hit their stride early and blitz these sides, they could be held to frustrating draws or even shock defeats and fall at the first hurdle, much like they did in 2002 when they went into the tournament as second favourites.
Considering they scored just 19 goals in 18 qualification games, these big name forwards cannot necessarily be relied upon.
Argentina to be eliminated at the group stage is available at 6/1 with Ladbrokes.
Group H - Colombia
Colombia won a lot of fans at the 2014 World Cup when they reached the quarter-finals, nearly ousted Brazil and their star man, James Rodriguez, walked away with the Golden Boot. However, it could be very different for them this time around.
They are in an exceptionally tricky group, despite their being none of the traditional super-powers involved. Poland, Senegal and Japan stand in the way of the Colombians and none of those contests will be straight forward at all.
Colombia may have reached the last eight in 2014, but their World Cup record is very poor otherwise, only once getting past the group stages before that success. Their qualification was not great either, especially against the stronger sides in South America. Of the eight games against the other four teams that qualified, Colombia’s only victory was at home to Peru.
Considering Poland are the highest ranked team in the group, and they are playing much closer to home, it is somewhat surprising that Colombia are the shortest price to progress. Japan are not in the greatest shape at the moment, but Senegal could well stop the men from South America in their tracks.
Colombia to be eliminated at the group stage is available at 23/10 with Bet Stars
Up to £100 in Bet Credits for New Customers at bet365 Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. 18+, Time limits and T&Cs apply.
New Customers only - £10 min dep using promo code "FOOTBALL" - First bet must be placed on any market - Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon settlement, expire after 7 days, stake not returned. Full T&Cs apply
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »