Top 10 Players Who Could Win The 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
Every four years one of the world’s greatest players comes forward, takes a tournament by the scruff of the neck and does more than his fair share in trying to win it for his side.
Some of the biggest names the sport has ever seen have won the Golden Boot at a World Cup and here are 10 players that could do it this summer in Russia.
A man who scored five Bundesliga goals last season and has done the same so far this season does not seem like someone you should be backing for the World Cup Golden Boot. But Thomas Muller is a unique case.
The German has 10 goals in just 13 World Cup appearances, he is already one of the greatest goal scorers the competition has ever seen and he could be right at the top of the list by the end of the summer.
His form for Bayern means that he is not one of the favourites in this market, but you would be very foolish to rule out a man who has performed so consistently on the big stage.
This is a bit of a punt seen as the man has just one international goal to his name, but the World Cup often sees youngsters coming through to grab the headlines and Kylian Mbappe could do that this year.
The PSG man has been impressive since his move from Monaco, he does not have much international experience, but has been excellent in the Champions League, which is the next step down.
Mbappe has Australia, Peru and Denmark to get his teeth into in the group stage and if he can get a good start could go on a real roll with a French team which are real dark horses for the competition.
You can never rule out Ronaldo, especially when it comes to claiming some personal glory, but he has never really been a man for the World Cup.
The Real Madrid hero has played in three World Cups before and has managed just one goal in each so far. He was inspirational in leading Portugal to their Euro 2016 triumph, but he has never quite shone on the global international stage.
Portugal are not expected to go far in this one, and this could really hold back their talisman. They do have group stage matches against Morocco and Iran, which could give Ronaldo a chance, but he looks a ropey bet at 14/1.
It is a genuine possibility that an Englishman could be the top scorer in this World Cup with Harry Kane proving once again this season, he is one of the very best strikers on the planet.
The Spurs man is currently the top scorer in the Premier League, with 24 goals in 37 games, making it four straight seasons he has managed over 20 league goals in a campaign. He is undoubtedly up there with the elite.
England are very unlikely to reach the final four of the tournament, which will hold him back, but if he goes big against the likes of Panama and Tunisia in the group stage, he will be right in the mix.
This seems an awfully long price for a man who has been consistently one of the very best strikers in the world for many, many years.
The Argentinian has scored 20+ goals in each of the last four Premier League seasons and has been a reliable finder of the back of the net for 10 years, since he first burst onto the scene as a teenager at Atletico Madrid.
He has a very decent 36 goals in 84 games for his country, but has never scored at a World Cup. This is holding him back in the odds, but if he can remedy this early then he can compete with anyone when it comes to scoring huge numbers of goals.
The bookies seem to have been pretty generous on the Uruguayans in this tournament and there are two of them that could prove to be fantastic bets in this market.
Edinson Cavani has been a consistently excellent goal scorer for the best part of a decade now. Scoring, averaging better than a goal every other league game for eight straight seasons. He has also notched 40 in 98 games for his country.
At the end of February he has 24 Ligue 1 goals in 25 games for PSG so will be heading into his third World Cup in fine fettle, and ready to build on his two goals in the tournament before.
An even more appealing bet could be Cavani’s countryman Luis Suarez, who looks criminally undervalued at 30/1 to pinch the Golden Boot.
The Barcelona striker is, once again, in prolific form for the Catalans and he has five goals at World Cups in the past, so he knows exactly what he is doing on the biggest stage in the game.
What should also be noted about Uruguay is that they have a very easy group, featuring the host nation Russia, Egypt and Saudi Arabia. They are certain to qualify from that rabble and they could stick quite a few past their opponents in the process.
Suarez could easily be on four goals coming out of the group stage which would put him in a great place to finish as top scorer come the lifting of the trophy.
The favourite to be the top scorer in Russia, the current holder of the World Cup Golden Ball and most people’s choice for best player on the planet, Lionel Messi is a compelling pick for Golden Boot this summer.
The Argentinian seems to have been around forever but he is only 30-years-old and is still, without doubt, in his prime. He scored 37 La Liga goals last season and, at the time of writing, has 22 in 25 league games this season.
He scored four times in the 2014 tournament and it would take a brave punter to back against him failing to match that this time around. The only thing holding him back might be his teammates, who really laboured through qualification for this competition.
The Brazilian superstar may have just broken his ankle but he will be back and ready for the World Cup in the summer, where he will hope to shine in front of the world.
Neymar had notched four goals in the 2014 event before injury ruled him out of the semi-final clash with Germany – could that fateful night have been very different? Maybe.
He’s only 26-years-old and is fourth on the all-time scorers list for Brazil with 53 in 83 games. His move to PSG has been fruitful (not just for his bank balance) as he has 19 goals in 20 Ligue 1 games.
As long as his injury heals in time, Neymar will be in the goals in Russia.
If you want to back a Frenchman, the more sensible bet might be their leading light, Antoine Griezemann who currently has the unusual price of 17/1.
This is going to be Griezemann’s first World Cup but he has shown he has got what it takes in international tournaments when he finished top scorer at Euro 2016 with six goals.
At 26-years-old he should be at his absolute peak and has been a consistent threat for Atletico Madrid for three-and-a-half years now. He could sneak up quietly in this market, but prove to be a very shrewd bet.
18+. Acca Insurance: Min selection odds 1/10. Acca odds 3/1. Pre-match straight line accas only. 1 free bet up to £/€10 per customer/day, credited within 24 hrs, valid for 7 days, Min 1 boost per day. Full T&Cs apply
New customers only, limited to one per person. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £/€10. T&Cs apply.
All losing pre-match or in-play bets on ICC games with min 1.70 odds, min stake £10 For each £100 negative balance you will get 10% Cashback as a PWR Bet. Promotion valid until August 11th, 2019. T&C’s apply.
New Customers only - £10 min dep using promo code "RACING" - First bet must be placed on any market - Min stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qual bet settlement Full T&Cs apply.
Sign up to Paddy Power & the first time you play Beat the Drop, you will automatically receive 30 days of free play. Unlimited play of a ‘10 Q - €1,000 Pot’ game. You can only enter one game at a time. T&Cs apply.
New customers only – Min dep of £10 using deposit code 10FREE - qualifying bet is real money stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market. Min odds 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets expire after 7 days, full T&Cs apply.
- 9 Potential Winners of the World Cup 2018 Golden Glove Award
- Top 10 World Cup Humiliations
- Top 10 Mourinho Master Classes
- Top Eight Premier League Title Races
- Top 10 Uncapped Players that could make the England World Cup squad
- Top 10 England Goalkeepers
- Top 10 Transfer Deadline Day Flops
- Top 10 Football Rivalries
- Top 10 Retired Cricketers Who Would Have Been T20 Kings
- Top 10 footballers to play in North America
- 7 Unique things we LOVE about the Ryder Cup
- Top 10 Team GB Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners
- Top 8 Valentines Day Sports Stars
- Top 10 Cracking Cricketers with Dodgy Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Nicknames
- Top 10 Chinese Sports Stars
- Top 10 Sporting Whitewashes
- Top 10 Desperate Aussie Pre-Ashes Mind Games
- Top 10 Boxers Avenging Defeats
- Top 10 Multi-Sport Sportsmen
- Top 10 Sporting Veterans
- Top 10 Royal Sporting Names
- Top 10 Sporting Debuts
- Top 10 Sporting Upsets
- Top 10 Thrashings in Sporting Finals
- Top 10 UK Open Shock Results
- Top 10 Fights in London
- Top Six Play-Off Heartaches
- Top 10 Moments that ended a sporting era
- Top 10 sportsmen who should retire
- Top 10 Footballers Luis Suarez can feast on next
- Top Eight Grand National Long Shots
- Top Five Six Nations Climaxes
- Top Five British Europa League Heartbreaks
- Top 10 England Opening Batsmen
- Top Five Champions League Comebacks
- Top 10 England stars of the future
- 13 Greatest World Cup Players Of All Time
- Top Eight All-Rounders in world cricket
- Top Five Premier League Summer Signings
- Top Eight Premier League Veterans
- Top 10 Football Player Comebacks
- Top 10 England one-cap wonders
- Top Five Welsh Snooker Players
- Top 10 World Number Ones
- Top 10 Foreign England Cricketers
- Top 10 Worst Managerial Appointments
- Top 10 Goal Celebrations
- Top Seven Euro 2016 Kits
- Top Nine Football Stadiums in Europe
- Top Five European Championship Goals
- Top Five Iconic UK Sporting Venues
- Top Five Most Controversial Boxers of All Time
- 6 Typical Cheltenham Festival Goers
- Top 10 British Boxing Grudge Matches
- 10 of the Best Managerial Sackings
- Top 10 Unlikely Masters Champions
- Top 10 Greatest Manchester Derbies
- Top 10 Relegation Escapes
- Top England ODI XI of All-Time
- Top 10 Greatest FA Cup Finals of All-Time
- 4 World Cup 2018 group stage shock exits to look out for
- Top 10 Clay Court Tennis Players of the Open Era
- Top 10 Champions League Finals
- The 9 Greatest England v Scotland Matches
- 11 Greatest victories for English teams in the Champions League
- Top 10 Players Missing the World Cup
- The 8 Greatest Lions Victories
- The 14 Worst Transfers in Premier League History
- Top 10 Premier League Bargains
- Top 7 Premier League One Season Wonders
- 11 Best Premier League Opening Day Matches
- 7 Best Premier League Debut Campaigns
- Top 10 Upsets in Boxing and UFC history
- Top 7 Football Shirts of All-Time
- 10 Greatest American Tennis Players of the Open Era
- The 11 Greatest World Cup Matches Ever
- Top 10 Greatest T20 players in history
- Top 10 Darts Players of all Time
- 14 Greatest Champions League Players Ever
- 9 Greatest Liverpool vs Manchester United games of the Premier League era
- The 10 Greatest World Cup Goals Ever
- 10 uncapped players that could make the England World Cup squad
- The 12 Greatest South Americans in Premier League history
- Top 10 Players who could win the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot
- Top Five FA Cup Final Upsets
- 10 English wins over Spanish teams in the Champions League
- The 15 Greatest British Heavyweight Boxers in History
- 10 worst England players ever to make a World Cup squad
- Top Seven Australian Open Outsiders
- Top 10 Individual Ashes Performances
- 10 Worst January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 9 Best January transfer window signings in Premier League history
- 14 UFC fights we want to see in 2018
- Top 10 British boxers that could become world champions in 2018
- Top 10 Boxing Rematches Ending in the Same Result
- Top Five Formula One Drivers Of All Time
- Top 10 Craziest Premier League Players
- Top 10 Gaps not filled in the Transfer Window
- Top 10 Cricket All-Rounders
- Top 10 Worst Current World Champions
- Top 10 Players to watch at the ICC Champions Trophy
- Top 10 Potential Future World Snooker Champions
- Top 10 Opponents Tyson Fury Can Face
- Top Five Heavyweight Contenders
- Top 11 Undefeated Streaks in Boxing History
- The 5 worst England performances at World Cups ever
- Top 5 Current Pound for Pound Boxers
- The 5 Best England performances at World Cups
- 11 World Cup 2018 Fantasy Football Bargains
- The 10 Biggest Shock Group Stage Exits in World Cup History
- The 10 Biggest Premier League Opening Day Upsets Ever
- The 10 best transfer deadline day signings in Premier League history
- 2018 World Cup: Top 10 Young Players to Watch
- UFC 240 Betting Preview
- World Matchplay Darts Betting Preview
- Whyte vs Rivas and Pacquiao vs Thurman Betting Preview
- The Open 2019 Betting Preview
- Cricket World Cup Final Betting Preview
- Nathan Gorman vs Daniel Dubois Betting Preview
- Womens World Cup Final Betting Preview
If you fancy a break from the serious side of betting, take a look at our Topical Feature List for a bit of a giggle.Click Here To View The List »
View our latest sports articles in our betting blogRead Our Blog »