Super Bowl Preview : Patriots Out to Retain Title
- U,S, Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Sunday 4 February 11.30pm
- Live on Sky Sports and BBC
It's time for one of the largest sporting events of the year as Super Bowl LII takes place in Minneapolis. Our preview looks ahead to the clash between record-chasing New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles, who are looking for their first title.
Brady and Patriots Bid for Historic Win
New England Patriots bid to become only the second team in the history of American Football to win the Super Bowl two years in a row, while Tom Brady chases a record sixth Super Bowl win. There could be plenty of history achieved this Sunday in the Super Bowl and that might make up for having to put up with Justin Timberlake in the half-time entertainment.
They began the defence of their Super Bowl title by winning the AFC East Division with a record of 13-3. New England's defence of the Super Bowl title didn't get off to a good start as they lost two of their first four games. They soon got back on track though winning 11 of the next 12. The Divisional final saw them defeat Tennessee Titans 35-14 taking them into the AFC Final against Jacksonville Jaguars.
That nearly proved to be the game in which the champs lost their title. The Patriots were ten points down in the final quarter but Brady rescued them yet again. He completed passes for 138 yards in the final quarter and two touchdowns including an acrobatic catch from Danny Amendola saw them complete the comeback to win 24-20.
The Patriots will be relying a great deal on the legendary Brady, who many consider the best quarterback of all-time. He's shown no sign of slowing down this season, in fact his yardage total for passing this season hs been his best for years. This season he broke the reccord for the oldest player to lead the rest of the league in terms of passing yards. Add on the talents of tight end Rob Gronowski and you can see why the Patriots are odds on to win this match. Gronowski has already gone through the 1,000 year barrier for receiving and if these two show their usual form, that second Super Bowl win is looking odds on to be achieved.
Eagles Have it all to Do
The Eagles will be hoping to soar high on Sunday and win their first Super Bowl. They are competing in their first Super Bowl since 2004 and only their second since 1980. Philadelphia are the NFC East Champions with a 13-3 record including a run of nine straight wins. That success led to their first visit to the play-offs since 2013. In the divisional play-off they faced Atlanta Falcons. Despite being the number one seeds, they were the underdogs in this match but came out 15-10 winners thanks to their strong defence and progressed to the NFC Championship final for the first time since the 2008/09 season.
That saw the Eagles face Minnesota Vikings who were hoping to progress to a Super Bowl on home territory. That wasn't to be as Philadelphia won convincingly 38-7. The Vikings took an early lead but after that it was all Eagles after that as they romped home to reach their third ever Super Bowl, where they will be hoping for a first win.
They will be pinning a lot of hopes on their quarterback Nick Foles and it'd be an amazing story if he was to lead them to Super Bowl glory. He only took over as quarterback last month after Carson Wentz was injured. He was the star of the game against Minnesota completing 26 of 33 passes for a total of 352 yards. It remains to be seen whether he can do anything like that this Sunday.
History is going to be made on Sunday as the New England Patriots take on Philadelphia Eagles. The Patriots have the experience needed to win on such a big occason as this and our preview concludes that Tom Brady will win his sixth Super Bowl as the Patriots defeat the Eagles.
- The last team to win the Super Bowl two years in a row are New England Patriots who won in 2004 and 2005.
- Seven teams have won the Super Bowl in consecutive years, only Pittsburgh Steelers have done it twice.
- New England Patriots are making a record tenth Super Bowl appearance.
- This is the third appearance for Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl, they lost the other two.
- Philadelphia Eagles last reached the Super Bowl in 2004.
- Both teams are 15-3 for the season.
- New England Patriots are unbeaten in their last six matches.
- New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady finished the 2017 regular season as the NFL’s passing yards leader with 4,577 passing yards
- Brady is bidding to become the first player to win six Super Bowls and become the first player to finish top in the NFL passing yards table and go onto win the Super Bowl.